walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Am Faocagach from Loch Vaich

Am Faocagach from Loch Vaich

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Faochagach

Date walked: 11/07/1999

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 786m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I always thought the standard route to Am Faocagach from near Loch Glascarnoch looked pretty boggy and unexciting - as well as having the possibility of difficult river crossings. It was always billed as one of the dullest Munros :( - so I looked for alternatives. On the WH gps map it's just shown as a path, but there is a perfectly servicable tarmac road from Black Bridge on the A835 to the Dam at the foot of Loch Vaich, and in 1999 the gate was open and no-one seemed to object to my using it. There was parking for several cars at the road end at the western end of the dam. I'm posting this report because I can't immediately find any other record of this route here.
FAo01.jpg

FAo01a.jpg
Looking up Loch Vaich from near the start
FAO02.jpg

FAo02a.jpg
There were several splendid isolated scots pines near rhe start. across the loch is 772m Meall na Ghrianain and further away 787m Beinn a Chaisteil
On my Anquet 1/50k map a track is shown climbing from Strathvaich Lodge over Tom Ban Mor and Sron Liath all the way to above 800m , but I don't remember coming across it or using it.
Some pics of the Northern Fannaichs that I did a couple of days later
FAo02b.jpg

FAO04.jpg

FAO05.jpg

FAO08.jpg

fas.jpg
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Am Faocagach from Loch Vaich

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Nice! I've been in that way, but I think the gate is normally locked these days, which makes for a long (but easy) walk/cycle in.
I don't think the last 4 shots are from Am Faochagach, though - I think they are from the central and western Fannichs!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:43 pm

jmarkb wrote:Nice! I've been in that way, but I think the gate is normally locked these days, which makes for a long (but easy) walk/cycle in.
I don't think the last 4 shots are from Am Faochagach, though - I think they are from the central and western Fannichs!

Thanks You could easily be right : I did those probably the same year from the 288m point on the road at the foot of Loch Bhraoin. the trouble in those days was that films stayed in your camera for ages and didn't have dates or anything attached to them :lol: :lol: :lol: . Odd though that I didn't take any pics higher up on Faocagach - unless it was misty. I had this pic as the summit cairn but I'ts definitely not and probably belongs with the other four
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:50 pm

past my sell by date wrote:I had this pic as the summit cairn but I'ts definitely not and probably belongs with the other four

Yes, that's the top of A' Chailleach, looking east.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby QuesoKentu » Wed May 12, 2021 7:11 pm

Just if anyone reads this and tries to repeat this route, there's now a locked gate with a sign saying no unauthorised vehicle access at the start of the road off of the black bridge.
QuesoKentu
Hill Bagger

Munros:6   
Fionas:1   

Postby past my sell by date » Fri May 14, 2021 2:54 pm

QuesoKentu wrote:Just if anyone reads this and tries to repeat this route, there's now a locked gate with a sign saying no unauthorised vehicle access at the start of the road off of the black bridge.

Yes - the story of hillwalking in the highlands I'm afraid :( I was lucky :D
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland