walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chaorainn by itself

Beinn a'Chaorainn by itself

Postby clem_f » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean)

Date walked: 19/01/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 854m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Driving out to start the walk today heard the weather on the Today Show - cloudy with some rain across the whole country - except North West Scotland, which will see long spells of sunshine. That's what you want to hear! Followed the WH route up to the summit of Beinn a'Chaorainn - there has been some logging work in the forest, so there are significantly less trees than on the map. Plus the forest track as it gets towards the bottom of the hill at the moment is quite cut up due to vehicle movements. Conditions on the summit were fantastic, still and sunny, even warm, strange with the amount of snow. Was intending to follow the full WH route and doing Beinn Teallach as well, but the top was covered in cloud by the time I got to Tom Mor, and the day was getting on, so I decided to return back down the bealach. There is a path all the way down - looks like an ATV track, which means that it is pretty boggy. As I got to the lower parts of the track I decided to stay on the eastern side of the burn, which may have been a mistake, as it was quite wet on the lower ground.

Good day out, just wanted to post this walk as it is a bit of a variation to the standard route doing both hills. Is a good walk down the bealach to return, although wet in places.

chaorainn1.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The gate at the bottom of the hill.
P1197023.jpg

Aonach Mor and Ben Nevis poking above the clouds
P1197037.jpg

Sunshine above the clouds
P11970431.jpg

Summit from the first top
P1197047.jpg

Summit from the north top
P1197054.jpg

Looking down the Bealach to Loch Treig
P1197077.jpg

Back up the Bealach
P1197084.jpg
clem_f
Munro compleatist

Re: Beinn a'Chaorainn by itself

Postby arjh » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:47 pm

Very timely, I've already done Beinn Teallach and am heading to Glen Spean next week so looking to do this one by itself. Looks like you had a great day for it :)
arjh
Wanderer

Munros:116   Corbetts:27
Fionas:14   Donalds:13+8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:187   Islands:6

Re: Beinn a'Chaorainn by itself

Postby clem_f » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:55 pm

arjh wrote:Very timely, I've already done Beinn Teallach and am heading to Glen Spean next week so looking to do this one by itself. Looks like you had a great day for it :)

Yes, It was a great day - the walk back down the bealach quite wet, but nothing unusual there! Hope you have a good walk next week.
clem_f
Munro compleatist

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland