walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Warming up on Sgurr a' Mhaoraich

Warming up on Sgurr a' Mhaoraich

Postby Wimpie » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:40 pm

Route description: Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich, Loch Quoich

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich

Date walked: 05/07/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 9 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In July 2018 I took two people from Belgium with me to have them discover the Highlands. So I didn't really have an idea what to expect. :crazy:
Arriving from Belgium the night before, we camped near the bridge and got up early in the morning because i had planned to do Sgurr a' Mhaoraich, come down, have lunch and then tackle Gleouraich and it's neighbor Spidean Mialach. I was very motivated and the sunny skies over Sgurr a' Mhaoraich gave me that extra push. :D
We hit the road at 08h00, crossed the bridge and soon got to the point where the track starts. It was easy going all the way to the top. I was happily surprised to see that JF managed to keep up with my pace (which was still an adapted one :wink: ), it being the first time for him doing this kind of stuff. This could not be said of the other participant who claimed to be used to do long walks. (probably beach walks :lol: )
A lil bit below the summit there was a wee lil scramble to do but not really worth talking about. Although later on JF and me realized that Elke didn't fancy doing that easy scramble and kept us waiting at the top for quite a while.
Anyway, we got to the top, took some pics and enjoyed the views towards the hills we were planning to do in the afternoon, and the ones on the menu for the day after.
After waiting a long time for the third member of the group, we decided to go down and saw her sitting below the scramble part. Still didn't get it why she didn't get over that part. Anyhow, we continued our descend (same route as the way up, which was not planned like that either, but due to her absence at the top...) and arrived at our campsite at 15h00. I took the car to drive back and pick up Elke who was looking pretty tired. That's where I realized that this whole trip would not turn out the way it was supposed to be. :( I thought that having a short lunchbreak and leaving at at 16h00 to do the other two munro's might have been to late so i just cancelled them, feeling pretty disgusted. But, i also thought, "well this is a warming up for them, it might improve later on".
So we just stayed at the campsite and enjoyed the views and a swim in the cold lake. There were more hills to come so i tried to stay positive.

1.jpg
Our campsite near the bridge

IMG_0885.jpg
Sgùrr a' Mhoaraich and the start of the track

2.jpg
Jf and Elke on their way up with Loch Quoich and Gairich in the background

GOPR0050.JPG
Taken by JF, looking to the south, from left to right: Gleouraich, Gairich in the middle, Sgùrr an Fhuarain and Sgùrr Mòr

3.jpg
Nice views with Loch Qouich, Gairich in the middle, and Gleouraich on the left. Completely on the left are some views of the South Shiel Ridge

4.jpg
Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich

5.jpg
Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich with the South Shiel Ridge in the background touched by some clouds

6.jpg
Amazing views over Glen Qouich with Alltbeithe Lodge and the South Shiel Ridge

7.jpg
Yours truly with Loch Qouich and Gairich behind me ;-)

11.jpg
Me at the summit cairn

12.jpg
Looking to the west towards Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

13.jpg
Selfie-time on the way back

IMG_0874.jpg
JF and Elke on the way down

IMG_0875.jpg
Beautiful flowers on a sunny day

IMG_0877.jpg
Wild orchid

IMG_0887.jpg
JF taking it easy in the sun, well done for your first time buddy!!!

IMG_0895.jpg
Our swimming pool
Attachments
10.jpg
JF at the summit cairn, his first one ever :-)
Wimpie
Munro compleatist

Munros:47   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland