walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A sunny day on Gairich

A sunny day on Gairich

Postby Wimpie » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:48 pm

Route description: Gairich, Loch Quoich

Munros included on this walk: Gairich

Date walked: 06/07/2018

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the disappointment i had on the other side of Loch Quoich (cancelled 2 out of 3 due to one of the participants) i had my hopes up for a long day. The weather was great and we had planned to go all the way to Sgùrr na Ciche, then come back and camp at An Eag. So we packed our stuff and were ready to start at the Dam at 05h00. I tried not to go to fast so everybody could keep up with me without any difficulties. But already after 1,5 km i noticed that Elke, just like the day before, was slowing down again at a ridiculously slow pace. Nevertheless, i decided not to slow down, because that might slow her down even more. There's a path that zig zags its way up, with some long flattish sections before it gets a bit steeper with some great short and easy scrambles. I arrived at the summit at 07h55 and JF touched the cairn 20 minutes later. The summit plateau is pretty big and has some nice views all around. After waiting for 30 more minutes i decided to trace back to see where Elke was.
And for sure, she sat down just below a scrambling section again, saying that she didn't feel like going on any further. This f..... up my entire plan and with much resentment we descended the hill towards the Glenn Kingie forest. The idea was to go back to the car but in the end we had to put up camp near the ruin just 40 meters below the path. Guess who's idea that was :-x
On top of that we got eaten alive by the midges. We put up the tents, had lunch and had a lazy afternoon. Definitely not what i had in mind. The next morning we broke up camp, went back to the car et the dam and took off towards Shiel Bridge. Hoping for better things to come. :shock: :?

IMG_0904.jpg
Morning over Loch Quoich

IMG_0906.jpg
Sunrise

IMG_0907.jpg
JF, my walking buddy

IMG_0908.jpg
Elke

IMG_0922.jpg
Gleouraich (left) and Spidean Mialaich (right)

IMG_0925.jpg
From left to right: Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich, Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

IMG_0930.jpg
JF and me

IMG_0931.jpg
Gairich and Sgùrr Mhurlagain in the centre

IMG_0932.jpg
JF and me with Sgùrr Mhurlagain in the background

IMG_0933.jpg
JF and me with Gairich waiting for us in the back

IMG_0939.jpg
JF, Elke and me

IMG_0941.jpg
The horseshoe of Sgùrr Mhurlagain seen from the slopes of Gairich

IMG_0942.jpg
Loch Arkaig on the left, Sgùrr Mhurlagain on the right

IMG_0944.jpg
Me :-)

IMG_0946.jpg
The final slope of Gairich

IMG_0951.jpg
Gleouraich (left) and Spidean Mialaich (right)

IMG_0960.jpg
Summit cairn of Gairich

IMG_0961.jpg
View to the north from Gairich

IMG_0963.jpg
View to the south from Gairich

IMG_0970.jpg
JF and me at the summit cairn of Gairich

IMG_0979.jpg
Campsite at the ruin

IMG_1027.jpg
Lots of sunbleached trees on the way back

IMG_1031.jpg
A prince in disguise
Wimpie
Munro compleatist

Munros:47   Corbetts:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland