walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter kicks off in style on Beinn Dearg

Winter kicks off in style on Beinn Dearg

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Ullapool), Cona' Mheall

Date walked: 19/01/2019

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1430m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munros: Beinn Dearg, Cona Mheall
Date: 19/01/2019.
Distance: 24 km.
Ascent: 1430m.
Time taken: 9 hours.
Weather: Sunny, calm, deep, fresh snow.

I didn't have any great plans for this weekend until David (Rounsfell) got in touch suggesting the Beinn Dearg group. Weather forecast didn't look too bad, so why not? We got off to a bit of a late start due to Rounsfell struggling to find my house (partly my fault admittedly :roll: ) - it was getting on for 9:30am by the time we left the car at Inverlael.

We weren't overly concerned - we could shorten the walk if required. More importantly, the weather looked even better than the tentatively optimistic forecast 8)

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beinn Mhor Coigach

Beinn Dearg from Gleann na Sguaib

After strolling up forestry tracks through the Inverlael plantation, we decided to get straight on the ridge that would lead us to Beinn Dearg via the Famine Wall - the better to appreciate the more open views from.

Crossing the river...could be dodgy

The initial scrabble out of the glen was a bit of a wade through fresh snow and deep heather, but the going improved as the ground levelled out....the views to An Teallach quickly opened up too, fully justifying our route choice :D .

An Teallach

Diollaid a' Mhill Bhric

It was quite a long walk to reach the end of the wall (never mind Beinn Dearg itself) and after a short spell of easier going, we hit all sorts of fun. The snow was largely unconsolidated, but was beginning to form a slightly harder crust in a couple of places. Along with a few small drifts in more exposed places, it made for slower going as every step was different. This only got worse as we reached the wall and more bouldery terrain, but it couldn't dampen our spirits on such a great day.

Beinn Dearg Mor and An Teallach

Beinn Ghobhlach and Loch Broom

An Teallach

Beinn Enaglair

Meall na Ceapraichean and Beinn Dearg

An Teallach

Fisherfield hills

Eididh nan Clach Geala

Beinn Dearg and the wall

Southeast

Meall na Ceapraichean

Following the wall

The worst section was the final main pull up to Beinn Dearg, which would probably have been quite rough going even without the snow. We realised at this point that there was no way we were getting around to Eididh nan Clach Geala, and even a second summit may be out of reach.

Small pinnacle on the way up

On the ridge next to the Famine Wall

Fannaichs

It was worth the effort though, with plenty of Scotland's finest on show, including most of the places I had been over the New Year (Loch a' Bhraoin, Fisherfield, Achiltibuie, Suilven). The final ascent over the plateau was much easier going, and we had a decent break on top - after 20 minutes I realised I was still just in my t-shirt!

Beinn Eneglair with a smorgasboard of peaks behind

Finally getting close to the summit

Looking across to Meall na Ceapraichean from Beinn Dearg

Inverpollaidh hills

Loch a' Bhraoin from Beinn Dearg

Cona Mheall and the hills of the Kildermorie forest

Time to drop down to Bealach an Lochain Uaine, which was the slowest and most painful part of the day. Soft snow covered all manner of holes and angular blocks. Much more difficult than normal in these conditions, but completely unsuited to axe and crampons too. Many swear words were uttered over the next 30 minutes, with Rounsfell's key quote being 'you can't be at one with a mountain unless you have told it to **** off a few times' :lol: .

Down Coire Mhathair Lathail

Cona Mheall

Down Coire a' Ghranda

Once at the bealach, we were unsure whether to continue even to Cona Mheall - it was now after 2:30pm and there was potentially more crap snow to come on the way down the glen. In the end, we opted to go a little further just for the views down Coire Ghranda.

Frozen lochan

Lochan Choire Ghranda

This rapidly morphed into 'lets ditch our bags and make a dash for Cona Mheall after all!' We did, and there was some more skittering about on angular boulders (as well as a big, steep snowdrift to descend to the lowest point of the bealach - can't say we were looking forward to that on the return leg :roll: ) but it was nowhere near as bad as the descent from Beinn Dearg, and we were on the summit in the late afternoon light, glad we had bothered. A swift return to the bags followed (apart from the snowslope re-ascent), before we spent about 0.2 seconds contemplating the quick addition of Meall nan Ceapraichean (******** to that!)

Run, it's going to get dark!

Loch Prille from Cona Mheall

SE ridge of Cona Mheall

Fannaichs from Cona Mheall

Beinn Dearg

Assynt above the cloud

Seana Bhraigh and Ben More Assynt

Assynt was looking particularly fine floating above a sea of cloud as we rounded the various frozen lochans in search of the top of the path down the corrie.

An Teallach

Lochan Uaine

An Teallach from the top of the corrie

The path was well obliterated by drifts high up, so we weren't able to make any decent speed until much further down. However I've never been in the top of this corrie before, and despite the awkward underfoot conditions, it was the place to be at this time of day. The sun was setting over An Teallach and the sea to the west, and a short while later on, the moon re-appeared, rising above Meall nan Ceapraichean behind us.

Descending Coire Mhathair Leathail

N face of Beinn Dearg

Lochan Lathail

Looking back to Beinn Dearg

Meall na Ceapraichean and Beinn Dearg

We were a good way down the glen before it got particularly dark, with torches only being needed to avoid some of the ice on the last half-mile or so to the forest edge. Then it was a quick tramp back down to the car, ending what could potentially end up being one of the best hill days of this winter 8)

Moon up

Cheers to Rounsfell for suggesting this. If I'd been heading out on my own, I would probably have opted for a longer lie in bed and somewhere slightly closer to home, which wouldn't have been half as much fun!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Winter kicks off in style on Beinn Dearg

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:56 pm

's math sin a'bhalaich.....some super photos
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:44 am

In style right enough. Absolutely stunning. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:09 pm

What a day you got.... photos are stunning! :mrgreen:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:00 pm

It was a perfect day indeed! Weather-wise it could not have been better. If you zoom your photos, you might see us waving to you from across Strathmore!
We were descending from Creag Rainich/Meall an t-Sithe ridge when the sun started to set. Not very often we get a chance for perfect light on sunset photos, especially in full winter. Kevin took so many snaps that I'm still scratching my head which ones to pick for my TR :lol: :lol:
Beinn Dearg group from Meall an t-Sithe:

I always fancied some of Beinn Dearg group in winter conditions. It's a must-do now :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Jaxter » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:19 pm

Yes, I still hate you! 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:42 pm

Absolutely fabulous :clap: :clap: :clap: .

You have a good friend there....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby goingforawii » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:45 pm

What a fantastic day! Some cracking photos there :)
goingforawii

Donalds:7
Hewitts:184
Wainwrights:214   Islands:47

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland