walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Sgritheall at last

Beinn Sgritheall at last

Postby Wimpie » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:54 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgritheall

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgritheall

Date walked: 09/07/2018

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is a munro i've been seeing so many times from the other side of Loch Hourn, so i was really excited that i would finally see it up close 8)
So we left around 09h00 from the Shiel Bridge campsite and were ready to start the track that begins just next to the main road at 10h00. The path itself follows a wee lil burn that has to be crossed at one point to its east side. From here it's getting a bit steeper towards the Bealach Arnasdale. Once at the bealach we took west to get to the steep climb up of the north side of the east top. I could see that my teammates had a hard time but finally they arrived at the east top 20 minutes after i got there.
The last bit is fairly easy, a nice gentle ridge to the west al the way up to the summit. I touched the summit cairn at 12h15, the others arrived at 12h30. We took some pics, had a snack and went down the other side of the mountain. To my surprise, Elke was speeding downhill. We didn't understand what happened. Where did she get that sudden energy? When we arrived at Arnasdale at 14h00 we came to the conclusion that she was swimming in the Loch. THAT was the reason for her speedy descent. :shock: Anyway, it was a great day on a great hill, with no difficulties at all. :D

Beinnsgritheall.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_1266.jpg
Entering Arnasdale (me)

IMG_1267.jpg
View over Loch Hourn

IMG_1277.jpg
Me at the start of the steep way up towards the Bealach Arnasdail

IMG_1278.jpg
Looking south towards Beinn na Caillich on the Knoydart Peninsula

IMG_1279.jpg
Elke on her way up

IMG_1281.jpg
JF crossing the burn

IMG_1284.jpg
Elke crossing the burn

IMG_1285.jpg
The slope we came up

IMG_1291.jpg
Elke coming up with Ladhar Bheinn and Beinn na Caillich behind her

IMG_1294.jpg
At the Beach Arnasdale, looking at Beinn na h-Eaglaise

IMG_1295.jpg
Looking north-east from the Bealach

IMG_1297.jpg
JF on the way up on the steep part towards Beinn Sgritheall's east top, Beinn na h-Eaglaise in the back, and Beinn nan Caorach behind it

IMG_1301.jpg
JF waiting for Elke

IMG_1299.jpg
Beinn na h-Eaglaise

IMG_1300.jpg
Beinn na h-Eaglaise

IMG_1302.jpg
Elke arriving at the east top

IMG_1313.jpg
The three of us on the east top

IMG_1303.jpg
The summit of Beinn Sgritheall seen from the east top

IMG_1319.jpg
North face of Beinn Sgritheall

IMG_1320.jpg
Looking towards Beinn na Caillich on the Knoydart Peninsula, and Rum and Eigg in the distance

IMG_1323.jpg
Summit cairn of Beinn Sgritheall

IMG_1327.jpg
JF at the summit

IMG_1331.jpg
Elke at the summit
Attachments
IMG_1296.jpg
Beinn na h-Eaglaise
Wimpie
Munro compleatist

Munros:47   Corbetts:1

Re: Beinn Sgritheall at last

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Great photos of a fabulous mountain. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Beinn Sgritheall at last

Postby Wimpie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:09 pm

dogplodder wrote:Great photos of a fabulous mountain. :D

Thanks a lot! It was a very nice one indeed 8) The pictures were shot with my iPhone X. The quality turned out to be better than my camera i had before 8) 8) 8)
Wimpie
Munro compleatist

Munros:47   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland