walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Low Level Braemar Walk

Low Level Braemar Walk

Postby DavidLewins » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:18 am

Route description: River Dee riverside walk, Braemar

Date walked: 20/01/2019

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 5 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A superb low level circular walk. Initially done to ease myself back into walking after months of inactivity due to looking after a partner in the final stages of MS. My goal is to attempt Lochnagar from the Balmoral side but at this stage it is possibly still a dream! However, never say never!
Dee2.jpg
Sunlight through the cloud shining on Carn na Drochaide

I can imagine that this walk is a very popular walk in season. However, because this is the middle of January it was very quiet even on a Saturday afternoon.

After crossing the bridge I initially turned left and wandered down to the waters edge of a partially frozen Clunie Water. After taking a few images of the water tumbling over the rocks I turned and headed back to the main riverside track.

The snowfall was several days old but the narrow riverside track had been well trodden. In places Clunie Water was completely frozen from bankside to bankside. Braemar Castle soon came into view standing proud to the left of Creag Choinnich.
Clunie1.jpg
River Clunie

As I headed down a straight stretch to the point where Clunie Water joins the River Dee there were several nice views. A single cottage caught in the low sunshine with the backdrop of the wooded lower flanks of Creag á Chleirich. Also a single tree on the far bankside highlighted by the sun with the dark fir trees behind.
Clunie2.jpg
River Clunie

At the conflux of the two rivers there are some very stately and impressive Scots Pines on the opposite bankside. Up ahead there was dark clouds incoming from the Cairngorms which gave a wonderful contrast to the light. Because if the slightly dramatic lighting I cut the walk slightly short and headed up to the road. The view over the strath below and the light on Carn na Drochaide was too much to miss out on!
Dee1.jpg
River Dee with single tree

I continued along the road and picked up the track (one of many) leading back to the village. By now the weather had become very overcast, the duck pond too was totally frozen over. All in all a very pleasant walk with many excellent views of the surrounding hills and mountains.
DavidLewins
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland