walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clouds, wind and drizzle on A' Chralaig

Clouds, wind and drizzle on A' Chralaig

Postby Wimpie » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Route description: A' Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire

Munros included on this walk: A' Chralaig

Date walked: 11/07/2018

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Here i was at the campsite thinking what to do with this kind of weather. Since i didn't feel sitting and doing nothing i decided to go for A' Chralaig and Mullach Fraoch-choire. So we prepared, got in the car and drove towards Loch Cluanie. We took the start of the track at 09h10. We were soon going steeply uphill on a grassy hillside, climbing northeast up a fairly relentless slope untill the top of the ridge after which it gets a wee bit easier going. According to my map we were only 2 km away. By climbing steadily along a broad, easy ridge until we reached the very well-constructed cairn at the summit of A' Chralaig at 11h40. Only a few minutes was enough, just to take a picture, because of the cold and wetness, and also,... i wanted to move on to Mullach Fraoch-choire that was hidden in clags. But guess what? My luck turned again, my companions didn't feel like going on in almost zero visibility, so after trying in vain to change their minds, we went down in a straight line from A' Chralaig's western slopes. No path at all here, so lots of complaining from the third member of the party, Elke. :-x :thumbdown: Only the sight of a deer seemed to be a positive thing for her. Anyway, i knew what i was doing and after a rough descend following a burn and crossing a high fern field, we entered the forest and the track that would take us to the car. As soon as we arrived there, around 14h20, we took of our wet jackets and shoes, to keep the rental car as clean as possible and drove back to the campsite to enjoy a nice hot cup of instant Chicken Tandoori soup. :-P :thumbup: Will definitely come back to do both of them hills in one walk. Hopefully with clear skies. :thumbup:

GOPR0206.JPG
Ready for another day!

IMG_1553.jpg
JF, Elke and me at the start

IMG_1554.jpg
What a great view we had today :-p

IMG_1558.jpg
JF approaching the summit cairn of A' Chralaig

IMG_1559.jpg
A very wet and windy summit gathering

IMG_1563.jpg
Beautiful Foxglove

IMG_1564.jpg
A deer on the way back from A' Chralaig

IMG_1566.jpg
Another prince in disguise

IMG_1574.jpg
Warming up with a hot cup of instant Chicken Tandoori soup mmmmmmmmm

IMG_1575.jpg
Taking care of your feet, so important!!
Wimpie
Munro compleatist

Munros:47   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland