walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond

Ben Lomond

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:35 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 17/01/2019

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I parked at Rowardennan and went down to the shore in the early morning light.

ImageIMG_0788 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I had a good look around the monument - an inspiring and thought-provoking tribute.

ImageIMG_0789 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Setting off up the hill, I could see the early morning light touching the upper slopes of Ben Lomond.

ImageIMG_0804 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

In the woodland at the start of the walk, these ferns had somehow survived the winter so far.

ImageIMG_0805 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The path gained height easily. In no time, I had good views back down to the loch.

ImageIMG_0809 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Rising sun on the slopes.

ImageIMG_0816 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The early morning light glowed on the Ptarmigan ridge.

ImageIMG_0815 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

First glimpse of the Cobbler.

ImageIMG_0823 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The path is superbly made, and very well graded. Almost before I knew it, I was on the flat top of the Sron Aonaich ridge, with a view of the upper mountain straight ahead.

ImageIMG_0832 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The view, and the super-sharp sunlight, reminded me of my trips to South American volcanoes.

ImageIMG_0834 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

But there was a more Alpine scene to my left - the Arrochar Alps - the Cobbler, Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ime peeping over the top of the Ptarmigan ridge.

ImageIMG_0839 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I soon reached a shoulder where views to the east opened out. I think Loch Ard and beyond it the Lake of Menteith are visible.

ImageIMG_0842 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The view north-east from the same spot, with two sections of Loch Katrine visible. The Crianlarich hills are on the left skyline, the Loch Earn hills in the centre and Ben Ledi I think on the right.

ImageIMG_0841 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

And another view from the same place - the last part of the summit ridge reared up sharply above me.

ImageIMG_0843 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

But the path weaved an easy line up it, albeit covered with ice. I had read the National Trust info boards about the erosion, so rather than stray off the path, I decided to keep to it. Crampons would have been a bit de trop and I'd probably forget I was wearing them and trip myself over, so I decided to try out some micro spikes that had been kindly given to me last year on Bowfell.

On Bowfell, I quickly had to swap them for the crampons, but in these conditions I thought I would give them another try. Along with my crampons, they fit easily into my very macho One Direction crampon bag.

ImageIMG_0844A by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

As I put the spikes on, I was joined by a companion - thinking I was picnicking and hoping for crumbs? - or just a fan of the band?

ImageIMG_0844B by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The view down to Loch Lomond from that spot.

ImageIMG_0845B by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The spikes were ideal for the conditions. This was now my view ahead to the summit. Easy walking, high above stunning countryside - could it get any better?

ImageIMG_0845C by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

In fact, it did get better. I noticed the rocky crest of the ridge to my left, and went up to explore it.

ImageIMG_0846 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The views from the ridge were breathtaking.

ImageIMG_0849 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0851 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0855A by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0852 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0855 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The view back from a little further along.

ImageIMG_0856 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A zoomed shot of Cruach Ardrain, Ben More and Stob Binnean topping the skyline.

ImageIMG_0858 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The view down from the end of the ridge.

ImageIMG_0862 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Close up of walkers on the summit.

ImageIMG_0865 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The same view, but wider.

ImageIMG_0866 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Eventually I thought I really ought to get on to the actual summit, and made my way back down onto the path. This is the view looking back to the ridge, with Loch Ard shining in the distance.

ImageIMG_0871 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The Arrochar Alps from the slope just below the summit.

ImageIMG_0873 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Then, the trig came into sight across a pavement of flat rocks. I have cropped this photo top and bottom in an attempt to give a panoramic effect. Ben Vorlich is left of the trig and Ben Lui, Beinn Dorain and the Crianlarich hills are the most prominent hills to its right.

ImageIMG_0874 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The summit!

ImageIMG_0875 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0877 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

My shadow, and the trig's. In the top left (click on the magnifier on Flickr) the Ben Cruachan and Beinn Eunaich ranges are visible.

ImageIMG_0879 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The islands in Loch Lomond from the summit.

ImageIMG_0882 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A wider view of the loch.

ImageIMG_0886 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The descent was fast and effortless, aided by the micro spikes on the icy bits of path. All too soon, the Arrochar peaks started to disappear from sight.

ImageIMG_0905 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

But views from lower down were still very lovely - this is looking across to I think Ben Narnain, A'Chrois and Ben Vane.

ImageIMG_0906 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A last look back at the mountain.

ImageIMG_0918 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The memorial again, and its beautiful surroundings. There was a hint of spring warmth in the mid-afternoon winter sunshine.

ImageIMG_0939 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0947 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0945 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A late afternoon coffee and shopping trip to Jenners at Loch Lomond Shores gave me this view of the Maid of the Loch - looking well chuffed with herself for rebelliously slipping her moorings a few days before.

ImageIMG_0948 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

(see the video at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-46811391)

The Maid and the Ben.

ImageIMG_0951 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland