walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Worth it for the Summit Sunrise

Worth it for the Summit Sunrise

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:03 pm

Route description: Ben Vrackie, near Pitlochry

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 27/01/2019

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Video of fun:

With the possibility of nice weather the following day, my alarm was set early on Saturday morning. There had been some conflict in the weather reports but I decided to go for it and see if my gamble for a nice sunrise would pay off.

Arriving at the start of the walk with about three hours until sunrise, I was confident of reaching the top in plenty of time and I set off up the hill in the darkness with my head torch lightening the way ahead. It was a familiar path for me as I’ve been up this local hill lots, at many times in the dark, and my company was a few interesting pod casts!

By the time I had passed the Lochan I was sure I’d reach the summit in time and that’s exactly what happened. The golden hour was about to start and I was on the top to enjoy it. Initially it didn’t seem much was going to happen then in the space of a few minutes, the skies illuminated pink and red and my camera started rolling 

The only issue was the cold – it was freezing and my fingers were stinging when I had my gloves off controlling the cameras . They hurt so much I now have a new set up for my gloves when I plan on some photography !! Will see how my new system works next time I head for the hills in cold weather!!

A grand trip and Vrackie never lets me down, a cracking wee hill 

Some Piccies :

ImagePitlochry by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageBen Vrackie Dawn by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Imagesnowy path by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImagePink Sky by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

ImageNight Mountain Hike by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: Worth it for the Summit Sunrise

Postby karlejnar » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:22 pm

Nice report, Murray - and a very nice video too.

Just a silly question, aren't you a bit ahead of time? It says walked 27th January 2019 :wink:

Another silly question: Have you ever forgot your GoPro, and had to walk back to get it?
karlejnar
Wanderer

Munros:3   Corbetts:4
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:18

Re: Worth it for the Summit Sunrise

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:19 pm

Lovely vid, as ever. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'll bet your hands hurt like hell as they warmed up....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland