walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr na Ciche two ways

Sgurr na Ciche two ways

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr na Cìche

Date walked: 10/06/1972

Time taken: 15 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 1230m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

In June !972, long before I thought about completing the Munros, Hugh and I decided on a week's walking in the Highlands. I can't remember why we decided to start with Sgurr na Ciche - I must have read about it somewhere, but we drove up from North Manchester overnight, parked where the Kinloch Hourn road heads away from Loch Quoich and set off at about 7.00am. On my old 1" to the mile map there was a landrover track along the North side of the loch, but it had been submerged when the dam was built in 1955 and only very short sections of it remained, so we just followed the edge of the loch.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had a roll of Fuji film in my camera and the slides subsequently took on a huge orange cast, which has been difficult to counter - so I'm afraid some of the shots still look a a bit "odd" :lol:
01.jpg
Looking up the Loch to our peak
03.jpg
Hugh in the early morning
04.jpg
At the Abhainn Chosaidh - just a trickle, but in "memorable Munros" Richard Gilbert - returning along our route describes it as "a foaming roaring torrent fully 50 yds across hurtling into Loch Quoich". His subsequent adventures - (pages 90 -92) give a vivid account of what can happen in Knoydart and are well worth reading :roll:
However we proceeded steadily Westwards and crossed the dam at the further end of the loch
04a.jpg
The dam - with Ben Aden behind
05.jpg
Lochan nan Breac from the dam
I can't remember a lot about the ascent - we just headed roughly SW up the ridge to the 740m shoulder of Meall a' Choire Dhuibh and then on to the top of Sgurr na Ciche itself.
08.jpg

09.jpg

Looking up the ridge
09a.jpg
The summit from Meall a 'Choire Dhuibh
10.jpg
Rocky slabs - typical of the "Rough Bounds"
10a.jpg
Nearing the top - the hills of Knoydart behind
At the top Hugh announced that he had a major problem with the cartilage of (one of) his knees :( :( and it became clear that getting back was going to a considerable problem :(
11.jpg

12.jpg
Hugh sitting by the cairn at the top
13.jpg

13A.jpg
Looking back down Loch Quoich
15.jpg
Another view - somewhere :lol:
We returned exactly the same way - not a lot to say except that it took a Very Long Time :( and I think it was nearly dark when we eventually reached the car

September 1996
Norman and I were staying at the "cottage" in Glen Coe, and decided to try the trio of Sgurr nan Choireachan, Garbh Chioch Mhor and Sgurr na Ciche via Glendessary. We parked at the head of Loch Arkaig and began the rather dreary (IMO) walk up the pine forested glen :( . At Upper Glendessary, we asked the gillie about stalking, and were told that the first two hills were "out of bounds" today but that if we headed right up the glen to the watershed and turned sharp R we could do Sgurr na Ciche without any problems - ascending the Southern rib and descending the usual rocky gully.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

These are the photos
CIC01.jpg
Loch Arkaig
CIC02.jpg

CIC03.jpg
Walking up Glendessary
CIC04.jpg
Walking up Glendessarye
CIC05.jpg
At the col looking W to Eigg and Rum
CIC06.jpg
Starting to ascend
CIC07.jpg
The top in sight
CIC08.jpg
Another view
CIC09.jpg
Me on the summit :lol:
CIC10.jpg
Another view - somewhere :lol:
We returned by descending the above-mentioned gully into Glendessary
Last edited by past my sell by date on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Sgurr na Ciche two ways

Postby gaffr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:46 am

Hello, Just a few months ahead of you for a visit to this fine top. :) Christmas holidays 1971....probably had seen an image of this top...so had to get there. Snow cover all the way down to near to the sea, overnight in a Finiskaig bothy with just a part roof, then over to Glean Pean Bothy and a day over the two Munros to the South of the Glen.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Sgurr na Ciche two ways

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:46 pm

gaffr wrote:Hello, Just a few months ahead of you for a visit to this fine top. :) Christmas holidays 1971....probably had seen an image of this top...so had to get there. Snow cover all the way down to near to the sea, overnight in a Finiskaig bothy with just a part roof, then over to Glean Pean Bothy and a day over the two Munros to the South of the Glen.

It sure is a cracking top - particularly from the south
:)
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland