walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Mhic Bharraich - An excellent Plan C

Sgurr Mhic Bharraich - An excellent Plan C

Postby PeteR » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:21 am

Route description: Sgùrr Mhic Bharraich

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr Mhic Bharraich

Date walked: 26/01/2019

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a walk that happened a week back now, when there was a decent covering of fresh snow on the hills. Ideal weather, with clear skies, excellent visibility and importantly little in the way of a breeze.

All week I'd been eying up a couple of options. Plan A was a couple of Corbetts from Criag, with Plan B being a couple from Killilan. "Eyes bigger than my belly" might have been the best way to describe those ideas, as a) I probably wasn't winter hill fit (I discovered I definitely wasn't) and b) this would be first first walk of the winter season carrying the full winter pack.

Thankfully I had a Plan C up my sleave, in the form of the solitary Kintail Corbett of Shurr Mhic Bharraich. It looked ideal for a perfect winter's day 8)

It was a late start for me.......a little more after midday than I'd planned.......as I readied myself at the large parking area next to the Shiel Bridge campsite. There'd be a bit of walking back in the dark I was sure.

ImageP1060139 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
My target for the day, as I set off on my walk

ImageP1060140 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The empty campsite

ImageP1060141 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
It's a good path all the way to Loch Coire nan Crogachan

ImageP1060145 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Superb views to The Saddle developed throughout this walk

ImageP1060150 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Dropped down to this bridge before the path follws a gentle amble through the glen

ImageP1060157 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
A view in the daylight of my likely descent off the hill........didn't look like that in the dark :lol:

ImageP1060158 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The Saddle

ImageP1060172 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The path eventually skirted right, along the base of the hill and then started to climb ahead of a short section of zigzags

ImageP1060174 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The Sisters began to make an appears over the top of Biod an Fhithich as I gained height

ImageP1060178 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The craggy face of my target's 724 point came in to view, developing and changing as progress toward it was made

ImageP1060183 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1060184 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1060188 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1060191 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
And views back to The Saddle really opened up nicely as I got higher :D

ImageP1060197 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
My route ahead looked steep, and it was a bit, but all in all with the perfect conditions it was there to be enjoyed

ImageP1060199 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
And it was always worth stopping for a look back 8)

ImageP1060202 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Finally arrived at the Loch Coire nan Crogachan. I was starting to puff a bit by now

ImageP1060204 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Now started a period of slog-stop-gather one's self and then slog-stop, etc.

I was aiming to the right of the crags and worrying it was going to be a really hard climb. In reallity, steep though it was, it isn't that long a climb and even this old git was able to make it relatively unscathed :lol:

And the views more than compensated 8)

ImageP1060207 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1060209 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1060212 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Slog-stop-gather one's self........repeat........

ImageP1060215 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
....reap the rewards

ImageP1060221 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The gradient eases

ImageP1060226 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The sun is shining, but the moon is out over the Five Sisters

ImageP1060237 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The mighty Sgritheall makes an appearance

ImageP1060244 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The final walk to the summit

ImageP1060246 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
My new laptop wallpaper 8)

ImageP1060249 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Views to Torridon and other northern hills now opened up

ImageP1060262 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Those Five Sisters of Kintail

ImageP1060267 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
And at last the summit cairn

I was aware I had laboured up the steep climb and was perhaps a little behind schedule :lol: The sun was setting fast, but much as I knew I must leave the summit I wasn't going to rush off straight away. There was definitely time to soak up the views of distant Torridon 8)

ImageP1060270 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1060272 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1060273 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1060277 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1060278 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

ImageP1060280 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr

The initial descent was in the fading daylight and at least afforded me the opportunity to get the worst of the steep stuff out of the way before I lost the light completely.

ImageP1060299 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
I'm facinated by the moon, especially when you see it so clear in the sky

ImageP1060302 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The moon and the Sisters

ImageP1060308 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
I told you I was facinated by the moon

ImageP1060309 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
Looking back at my route down, before the light went altogether

ImageP1060311 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
The camera was away after this, as the light went and I focussed on getting back down to the path without suffering injury. Slow progress, but altogether unenjoyable. Bizzarely I was more concerned that one of the locals might see my car still parked up and call Mountain Rescue. Only for me to be ambling back along the track

Eventually I was back on the track and the relatively short walk back to the car. No Mountain Rescue thankfully and I was soon packed up and on my way back home after another highly enjoyable day (well, afternoon) in the hills.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Sgurr Mhic Bharraich - An excellent Plan C

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:52 am

Well worth the late start for those views up to Torridon before the sunset :thumbup: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby PeteR » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:17 pm

rockhopper wrote:Well worth the late start for those views up to Torridon before the sunset :thumbup: - cheers :)

Thanks rockhopper. This was perfect winter conditions, with such clear visibility. I was thinking at the time that had this been the height of summer there'd likely have been quite a haze about restricting the views.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 pm

Nice looking day Pete. Still regret not having the time or motivation (due to the infamous WH meet bug :shock: ) to tag this on to Bod an Fhithich a few years back.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:17 am

That looks magic, a wee dusting of snow makes such a difference :clap: it's a great wee hill this one, I popped up on a summer evening after dinner and it was brilliant. That descent though....brutal :crazy: :shock:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:28 am

A lovely hill this and stunning in the snow. Not sure about the descent in the dark though! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby PeteR » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:25 pm

Graeme D wrote:Nice looking day Pete. Still regret not having the time or motivation (due to the infamous WH meet bug :shock: ) to tag this on to Bod an Fhithich a few years back.

You often seem to get that WH bug Graeme :lol:

I'd looked at combining the two at first, but picked of Biod am Fhithich on its own as a plan B late last year. Looking at it from the climb up this Corbett and it struck me there was a fair height loss to be regained. Was quite glad I'd kept them as two separate hills.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:28 pm

Jaxter wrote:That looks magic, a wee dusting of snow makes such a difference :clap: it's a great wee hill this one, I popped up on a summer evening after dinner and it was brilliant. That descent though....brutal :crazy: :shock:

Thanks Jackie.......I'm not sure I popped up this hill though. It was a tad slower than that :lol: It's nearby neighbour over the road isn't bad either....did that in snow too :D

The descent was just slow, so I didn't risk a fall and break any bones. Think it would be hell in the height of summer with all the bracken to negotiate.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:31 pm

dogplodder wrote:A lovely hill this and stunning in the snow. Not sure about the descent in the dark though! :lol:

Thanks dogplodder..........I have history with pathless descents in the dark :lol: Every time I pass the South Glen Shiel ridge I remember my experience coming off that in the dark. This little Corbett was a relative walk in the park by comparison :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland