walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Kilfinnan Falls and Loch a' Choire Ghlais

Kilfinnan Falls and Loch a' Choire Ghlais

Postby clem_f » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:04 am

Date walked: 28/01/2019

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 500m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Wanted to go up to have a look at Kilfinnan Falls yesterday, but had a few extra hours spare, so thought I would go up above there, and Allt a' Choire Ghlais, hopefully to the end. Have been up Sron a' Choire Ghairbh a number of times and looked down at the loch in the choire, but never been there. Lovely day to start, some sunshine and a fair bit of fresh snow up higher. There is no route as such, and above the falls, after a deer fence I had to walk up slightly higher on the side of the hill as the stream was in a deep ravine, and the only way up that way would have meant getting very wet. This was roughly the wooded area on the OS map between about 200 and 350m height. Long quite wet walk in, but rewarded with lovely views at the end. Was in a bit of a rush to get back as I was nearly out of time. Memo to self, never underestimate how much effort it is to walk through deep snow, even downhill. If you wanted to go up here, but weren't bothered with the falls, I would say the return route I took, to the south of the burn, was easier than the way up. Except for the snow that is!

As an aside, one good reason to do this walk is that the Choire is the location for a large pumped storage hydro scheme which has been approved. Whether it will actually go ahead I don't know, but if it does, this walk will be impossible without the use of a submarine after the construction of the dam.

Of_the_Shed.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Kilfinnan Falls
20190128_103726.jpg

Upper falls, with Ben Tee in the background
20190128_104604.jpg

Lookin back towards the east from the route on the side of the hill above the burn
20190128_112059.jpg

Following the deer footprints in the snow. Ben tee on right, Meall a' Choire Ghlais on the left
20190128_112256.jpg

Looking up across some heathery ground
20190128_120254.jpg

Loch a' Choire Ghlais, Sron a Choire Ghairbh rising above
20190128_130955.jpg

Ben Tee, and the burn with the long trudge through the snow ahead.
20190128_132212.jpg
clem_f
Munro compleatist

Re: Kilfinnan Falls and Loch a' Choire Ghlais

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:27 pm

Good pictures of a route which is visited very rarely.
I've been up to the Kilfinnan falls a few times and well worth a visit on their own. Nice route up to the lochan looks good in winter.
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Re: Kilfinnan Falls and Loch a' Choire Ghlais

Postby clem_f » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:13 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Good pictures of a route which is visited very rarely.
I've been up to the Kilfinnan falls a few times and well worth a visit on their own. Nice route up to the lochan looks good in winter.
All the best. :D

Thanks, yes is a nice walk up, probably would have been easier if the snow wasn't so deep! Pretty straightforward, I just had to backtrack a bit when I got up to the gorge above the falls and go on the side of the hill on the north east of the burn. Didn't look to be any easy way of navigating along the burn without getting very wet.
clem_f
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland