walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What a Day to Reach Halfway

Postby andygunn23 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:12 pm

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 09/12/2018

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 1093m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Callum and I set off from Stirling towards Glen Coe on this particular Sunday in December knowing the weather was forecast to be a bit temperamental . All things considered I think we got a good enough day for it; technically two cloud free summits, some great lighting and all-round good enough views.

Given the uncertainty on the weather and the short amount of daylight we opted for Creise and Meall a’Bhuiridh instead of any of the more adventurous and arguably interesting Glen Coe options. We arrived in the car park of the White Corries Ski Centre car park and were ready to set off just before 10:00. With the exception of a minor detour back to the car to find my camera lens cover everything appeared to be going to plan.

Setting off looking towards Stob Dearg

We did briefly consider tackling Creise first but given the icy and snowy conditions underfoot we stayed clear as it would require some minor scrambling. On the plus side the out-and-back option worked well in terms of the constantly changing visibility.

Looking across Rannoch Moor

Crossing the Footbridge at 700m

Looking towards the ski tows

Although the snow wasn’t as far down as 700m it was still bitterly cold and any wind was rather unforgiving on any exposed skin. Our progress was steady from the 724m mark towards the summit of Meall a’ Bhuiridh. The ground was frozen solid and made walking difficult in parts but never quite justified getting the crampons out. We stopped for a bite to eat about 100m from the summit, finding shelter behind a large rock just as we entered the clouds. The wind picked up and made for a rather unenjoyable sandwich. I think we were both thinking if the weather continued as-is we would patch Creise and leave for another day.

Lunch stop

Meall a’Bhuiridh summit

Thankfully when we reached the summit the wind gently subsided and we set off towards Creise. It was now already past 12:00 and we had a good bit of walking still to do.

When descending down towards the bealach and leaving the clouds the lighting in the south easterly direction towards Loch Tulla was amazing.

Some of the photos

Ascending Creise was okay, although the soft snow made everything a bit more difficult. This worked in our favour as the time it took us to gain a bit more height the cloud also began to part.

Looking back towards Meall a’Bhuiridh

I hadn’t actually realised that Creise would be my 141st Munro until Callum questioned and pointed out this would be me reaching halfway – to think we contemplated heading home after 1, that’d of been a bummer!

Cracking views west

We met another couple of walkers on the summit of Creise who has ascended via the scramble and said it’d be an okay route down. We did briefly consider heading back down that route, but retracing our steps would take less effort and maybe we would get some better views now the clouds were lifting.

Heading back to Meall a’Bhuiridh – cloud free summit

The walk back from Meall a’Bhuiridh to the car was relatively uneventful and straightforward.

On the route down there was, again, some great views towards the rest of the Glen Coe mountains in particular Buachaulle Etive Mor.

Buachaille Etive Mor

The only other notable event was the tourists on the ski lift who seemed to be delighted at our presence walking down below them. It seemed rather odd but we obliged with a polite wave back, I think I guessed they were American – but maybe that is an unfair stereotype.

All in all, a nice easy day walk, good views, maybe not the most memorable but as always beats sitting inside, and brilliant to finally reach halfway! Unlike most I have down lots of odd single Munros and left some multiday epic ridge walks to boost my number, so at the moment I would be confident of the second half being quicker than the first – although Skye could be an issue…

This also happened to be my final Munro of 2018 which meant I finished the year with 57 Munros, spent a total of 12 nights out in the hills, covered 489km in distance with roughly 32,000m of ascent and July was the only month where I didn't reach a summit (holiday, birthday and too much boozing I'd imagine is the excuse). Oh, and I dread to think how many hours writing these reports :shock:.

Thanks for reading
Andy
andygunn23

Munros:232   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Islands:12

Re: What a Day to Reach Halfway

Postby goingforawii » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:47 pm

Well done :clap: Cracking photos! It's always nice when the weather gods play ball for you :D
goingforawii

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Donalds:7
Hewitts:184
Wainwrights:214   Islands:47

Postby Sgurr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:30 pm

Some nice photos, and good use of the time.

andygunn23 wrote:The only other notable event was the tourists on the ski lift who seemed to be delighted at our presence walking down below them. It seemed rather odd but we obliged with a polite wave back, I think I guessed they were American – but maybe that is an unfair stereotype.

Last time we went there, husband sailed up on the ski lift with his bad knee as we were taking American friends. When I realised they intended walking up, I walked up too. They are a bit younger than us, but not much, and both have personal trainers. I got the impression it was against their hill-walking religion to accept a lift on anything. They walked down as well, after doing both hills. We just did the one and caught the lift back. :oops: :oops: SOME Americans are much keener than the Scots.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby nigheandonn » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:43 pm

Ha, I read that as only Americans would enthusiastically wave to strangers, rather than only Americans would take the lift! :-)

Love the frosty Rannoch Moor pic near the start.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby andreww18 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:07 pm

Great report. Reading it the night before heading up there 19/4 for a Good Friday jaunt and another two bagged. Prefer a circular route so not sure i'm looking forward to doing Meall a Bhuirdh twice!
andreww18
Mountaineer

Munros:90   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:4

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland