walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond via Ptarmigan

Ben Lomond via Ptarmigan

Postby filox » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:07 am

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 11/12/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1015m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So this time I was off to do the most popular munro, Ben Lomond. Not to go up the tourist path, we chose to go via Ptarmigan ridge and come down the tourist path.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Going up this way we get really nice views of the Arrochar Alps. The Cobbler in particular is very prominent. Also, looking back gives amazing views of loch Lomond.

IMG_1976.JPG
Going up, the path is good but boggy in parts and covered in snow.

IMG_1978.JPG
On the way up we get very nice views of the Cobbler (on the left) and Ben Narnain (on the right)

IMG_1979.JPG
Loch Lomond is way bigger than I imagined.

The way up to Ptarmigan is pretty easy and straightforward. Once on Ptarmigan we get more views of the hills around us and a very nice view of the ridge up to Ben Lomond. The ridge itself is steep at times, and with the snow that has fallen, this made the ascent really fun as we got a change to play with our ice axes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnm5-yqNr0k[/youtube]

IMG_1981.JPG
Ben Lomond viewed from Ptarmigan.

IMG_1986.JPG
Surrounding hills are in the mist.

IMG_1988.JPG

Once on top of Ben Lomond views are really amazing in all directions. We can even see Ben Ledi in the distance.

IMG_1991.JPG
Spectacular views from Ben Lomond.

IMG_1992.JPG
More views from Ben Lomond.

IMG_1994.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG
Loch Lomond from Ben Lomond

We descend on the tourist path that goes to the right of the impressive ridge. The descent is again on a nice path and without steep sections.

IMG_1999.JPG
Way down (the tourist path) is to the right of this ridge

IMG_2001.JPG

All in all a very nice day out, and I would definitely recommend going up over Ptarmigan instead of choosing the tourist route -- it makes for a more interesting walk.
filox
Munro compleatist

Munros:54   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   

Re: Ben Lomond via Ptarmigan

Postby monty » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:02 pm

Nice route and some nice pictures. Views look excellent from the top when it is clear. :D
monty

Postby rockhopper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:41 pm

Did the reverse with my 10yo son earlier last year - up tourist, down ptarmigan - but we went in May so didn't get the views and cracking photos you got in winter :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby magicdin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:25 am

Good report filox on one of my favourite hills
Ptarmigan Ridge is definitely the best approach from Rowardennan

On another note - on clicking on your walks diary I see you were in at Barrisdale 20th/21st November
I walked into Barrisdale from Kinloch Hourn on Sunday 21st
It must have been you and your group I met at the wee hill just before the Boat House ???
magicdin
Rambler

Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Alastair S » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:37 am

Some cracking views of Loch Lomond there filox - looks like you had a good day.

In terms of area this loch is Scotland's largest. BTW a good pub question: what is Scotland's second longest, second largest (area) & second deepest (max depth) loch? A: Loch Ness. In terms of volume however Loch Ness comes out tops.

Longest is Loch Awe (41 km) & deepest is Loch Morar (310 m).
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby filox » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:01 am

magicdin, there were two groups walking out of Barisdale on Sunday -- one group of three guys (I think they said they were from Manchester) and the four of us (three guys and a girl). I seem to remember passing one walker on the way out - were you alone? This was just before you would reach the final descent into Barisdale bay (I can't remember where the boat house is).

Alastair, thanks for the info on the longest and deepest loch, always good to learn new things. I knew loch Lomond was the biggest in surface area, I just didn't expect it to be that big.
filox
Munro compleatist

Postby magicdin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:08 am

filox wrote:magicdin, there were two groups walking out of Barisdale on Sunday -- one group of three guys (I think they said they were from Manchester) and the four of us (three guys and a girl). I seem to remember passing one walker on the way out - were you alone? This was just before you would reach the final descent into Barisdale bay (I can't remember where the boat house is).

Yes that was me - I had just passed the group of three
The girl that came back into the bothy and was walking out must also have been one of your group then ?
magicdin
Rambler

Postby filox » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:32 pm

magicdin wrote:Yes that was me - I had just passed the group of three
The girl that came back into the bothy and was walking out must also have been one of your group then ?

Yes, she decided to do one more hill before leaving, and the rest of us decided we'd had enough and would just take it slowly :) World is really a small place isn't it?
filox
Munro compleatist

Postby magicdin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:35 pm

filox wrote:
World is really a small place isn't it?

Yep - sure is :)
magicdin
Rambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland