walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Innerdownie

Innerdownie

Postby maxie23 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:36 pm

Donalds included on this walk: Innerdownie

Date walked: 30/01/2019

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.3 km

Ascent: 604m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With only an afternoon to spare, I decided on a quick jaunt over to the Ochil hills, a 40 minute drive from home.
Weather was good with blue skies and a moderate wind.
Parked at the lay by next to the Castlehill reservoir, crossed the road and walked up the track towards the Glenquey reservoir.ImageIMG_3887 Innerdownie from track by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3889 Glenquey dam by robert irvine, on Flickr
Once you pass the dam, turn right and head up the hillside, there is an obvious ATV track.ImageIMG_3890 Track up from dam by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3891 Track up from dam by robert irvine, on Flickr
Halfway up, I lost the track in the snow and just headed up to the summit.
I was wearing a pair of micro spikes for the first time and found them quite good on this hill.
They are not crampons, but I felt they were adequate for this terrain.
Summit was cold with nice views.
There are two shelters at the top to get out of the wind for a cuppa. ImageIMG_3892 Innerdownie summit by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3893 View to Tarmangie and Ben Cleuch by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3895 Northwest view by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3896 View Northeast to Lomond hills by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3898 Snowy tracks at summit by robert irvine, on Flickr
Descended along the Northeast ridge.ImageIMG_3901 Northeast ridge by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3903 View from ridge down to Glendevon by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3906 Attempted artistic view from ridge! by robert irvine, on Flickr
Near the bottom of the ridge I turned back up Glenquey and returned to the car park.
Cracking little walk.
Attachments

Innerdownie 30 Jan 2019.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland