walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beautiful Ben Aigan

Beautiful Ben Aigan

Postby Alfachick » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:17 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Aigan

Date walked: 20/01/2019

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 11.8 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So trying to keep up with my new years resolution to climb all the hills in Moray, doable but perhaps not in the 12 weeks that I have living here between Jan and April :shock: I had grand plans for the weekend involving Ben Rinnes and the two Conivals.... These were dashed when the snow came and I also realised that I am not hill fit enough to do a 20km day in limited daylight in January. So something a little smaller was called for. Enter Ben Aigan.
A surprisingly long drive from where I was staying got me to the forestry commission car park. I was slightly worried that I was going to get my car stuck in there with no way to get out due to the ice and snow but I just figured I could deal with that emergency if it came.

So I parked up and set off up the forestry track which winds its way up the hill. There were several footprints in the snow already pointing me to the fact that this is a popular local hill. The route was pretty boring I just followed the forestry track and the footsteps. I was cursing myself on the first section as to how unfit I was before I realised that I had actually been going quite steadily uphill and had already climbed 100m.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather was glorious sunshine and freezing cold it was wonderful. There wasnt really too much snow on the forestry tracks but once you were out of the trees there was a fair bit of drifted snow over the path which made things a tad interesting but generally fun.

As usual the slog to the top was 100% worth it, the views over Moray and to the South were amazing. It was just a fantastically beautiful day.

IMG_1543.jpg
The view towards Dufftown from one of my many uphill stops

IMG_E1547.jpg
A fab view, blue sky!

IMG_1549.jpg
Quite an unusual trig point, no tapering to the top.

IMG_1553.jpg
Looking South East

IMG_1554.jpg
Ben Rinnes

IMG_1559.jpg
I just had to stop on the way down to take a photo of the beautiful light with the trees and the snow.

So I have started to get my head around the lay of the land so to speak in Moray, it seems you can see Ben Rinnes from everywhere and it is quite a distinctive hill. I will have to go up it at some point so I will be able to point out all the other hills that I have been up all around it! :lol: :lol:
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland