walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sron a' Choire Ghairbh bike and walking

Sron a' Choire Ghairbh bike and walking

Postby clem_f » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:40 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sròn a' Choire Ghairbh

Date walked: 02/02/2019

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 959m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lovely day here - bright sunshine, and lots of snow from significant snowfalls on Wednesday and Thursday nights. Wanted to get out and do a hill, but wanted one with a decent track that I was familiar with, given the winter conditions. To me Sron a' Choire Ghairbh fits the bill perfectly, as there is an old stalkers path that zig zags up the hill. Can be a bit more problematic if the conditions are icy, but it was all fresh snow, and the as the path up the hill is south facing, the snow was soft. Started at Laggan Locks and biked the first bit of the route - it's a bit more than 3 miles to the start of the walking up the Cam Bealach. Mostly uphill, so a bit of a pain, but heading back down after the walk much nicer, as it is a bit of a trudge out on the forest track otherwise. You can of course park at Kilfinnan which saves about a mile, but takes 10 minutes at least to drive around there from Laggan Locks.

Lots of deep snow on the walk up, but nothing worse than an inconvenience. Not having the time to do both the hills there I decided on Sron a' Choire Ghairbh, mainly because it is in the sun, and most of the way up Meall na Teanga at this time of the year you are in the shade. Plus there is a short diagonal sort of traverse from the second bealach to the final ridge of Meal na Teanga that I have found a bit difficult in winter conditions before, so I thought I'd give it a miss. All in all a great day, good to have some decent snow after a mild winter so far.

Holux2019_02_02_09_37_481nodes.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Rights of Way sign that marks the start of the path off the forest track.
P2027190.jpg

Walking up the Cam Bealach
P2027144.jpg

Meall Na Teanga
P2027156.jpg

Descending from the summit of Sron a' Choire Ghairbh
P2027164.jpg

Loch a' Choire Ghlais and Ben Tee
P2027172.jpg

Sron a' Choire Ghairbh Summit
P2027178.jpg

Late afternoon across Loch Lochy
P2027189.jpg
clem_f
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland