walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What a difference!

What a difference!

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:58 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 01/02/2019

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1210m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A two day window of opportunity walking wise so I had a chat with George and Parminder, we were checking the forecast daily and the choice on offer was either Friday or Saturday. As the forecast was changing daily I suggested we make a final decision on Thursday and Friday looked slightly better so that was it. One snag, George couldn't make Friday as he was out on Thursday night for a "session" meeting up with an old pal. So the trio became a duo, I had already suggested we tackle the couple from Victoria Bridge and everyone was happy.
I had a look at my WR from 5 years ago which took me under 7 hours and I still vividly remember the ascent up towards Stob Ghabhar, solid hard packed snow and it was so steep. I also had no views at all so it was nice to see the surrounding hills and area.
I offered to drive and pick Parminder up from the park and ride just north of all the bridges. We left at 6.30 and were going stop at Stirling services for breakfast (for a change and to try it out). The plan was to visit Burger King and try something breakfasty off their menu, that plan was a disaster as Burger King was all locked up with shutters down. There is a Gregg's (bakers) nearby so we popped in, we both had a sausage baguette and latte and it certainly hit the spot.
We arrived at the car park at Victoria Bridge and were on our way shortly after 8.30. Everywhere had a nice sprinkling of snow and we were expecting ice bearing in mind the temperature was well below zero, so we carried our winter tackle - just in case.

Demonstrates how cold it was, that was the outside temperature when I parked the car

There were a couple of cars in the car park, that looked like they had been there overnight as they were rather frosted.

I was finding it difficult to keep my hands warm to take photo's, so it was out with the gloves. To demonstrate how the weather can change, there wasn't a breath of wind and hardly a cloud in the sky, little did we know that 5 or 6 hours later the wind would be very strong and battering us by lifting the top layer of snow.

That's where we are heading

The Abhainn Shira with frozen bits, taken from Victoria Bridge

Cracking view to the west

Plenty of ice

Couple stags crossing the river, zoomed a wee bit

Heading off to look for food

Good track to start before we leave it and head north up the glen

Heading up the glen now, ice very evident

Our first target is hiding behind the lump on the right

Been a rare sight for us recently

Parminder tagging along behind - as usual

As we gradually made our way up the glen, climbing at a nice gentle rate. I was following 2 sets of footsteps in the snow, a huge thanks if it was you, as I know how difficult and tiring it is not only to navigate but also to pick your way in the snow not knowing how deep it is.

Large herd of deer heading in the opposite direction

The bealach between the 2 summits, we would head up following the footsteps and tackle the first summit from the west

After the gentle ascending it was getting a bit more demanding now, it was to get much, much harder

Looking back down the glen

Parminder starting to huff and puff, first time out for him for 3 weeks, only to be expected

The way ahead and still a lovely blue sky

Cracking shot down the glen, sun still shining

The way up and ahead, bit of cloud appearing

Following the footsteps, if you zoom in you can see the depth

On the bealach, final ascent of the first summit

Waiting for Parminder, no blue sky now

Looking SW

Wee video taken on the summit of Stob a'Choire Odhair

Time to head back down to the bealach and then onto the 2nd hill

Looking back at Stob a'Choire Odhair

Rannoch Moor in the distance

Kind of shows how deep the snow was in bits

Well frozen lochan - Coirein Lochain

Now it was getting tough

Kind of shows how steep it was getting

Parminder enjoying the challenge or maybe not?

Not far to the top of the ridge now, for me

Looking back at the first hill whilst balancing on the steep slope, the things we do to get the odd photo

Parminder was starting to struggle - with cramp

First summit taken from the top of the ridge, Rannoch Moor in the distance

Looking north east ish

Looking across at the summit of Stob Ghabhar

Wee video taken from the top of the 'other' Aonach Eagach

It was during the ascent that the wind really picked up and the spindrift was brutal, allegedly good for your complexion! I had a wait of about 20mins for Parminder and it is just as well I took the video there as the wind was getting stronger and there was no way I could have taken one on the summit of Stob Ghabhar.

Follow the fence posts up to the summit

Could be any summit cairn but trust me it is Stob Ghabhar

The shelter on top of Stob Ghabhar, not much use for us unless we had shovels

The conditions must have been bad as Parminder didn't even contemplate getting his camera out for his 'usual' summit photo!!! It was literally a touch the cairn and about turn.
We had been followed by a trio of walkers who on reaching the top of the AE opted to continue along the ridge then descend down the shoulder. We were grateful to them for leading the way down the descent, there were times when we couldn't see their footsteps as the spindrift had completely covered the steps. We eventually caught them up when we crossed the burn at the foot of the descent, 3 young guys from Stirling.

Parminder bringing up the rear (again) on the long final descent

The way ahead and down, hopefully the spindrift can be seen, that isn't cloud or fog

Final photo on my phone as it was getting a battering from the weather

Turned out to be a real challenging walk and Parminder admitted that was the deepest snow he had walked in, still a cracking day as are all walking days - especially when we look back. I should mention we didn't need our ice axe or other winter clobber, the snow was too deep and soft which is surprising considering the temperature. Huge thanks to Parminder for his company (and breakfast), weather is about to change so who knows what conditions will be like next time we get out!!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The route is slightly different in that we headed up to the bealach and tackled Stob a'Choire Odhair from the west.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: What a difference!

Postby PeteR » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:39 pm

Looks a tough day there Martin. I think I'd have been keeping Parminder company myself........being an enjoyer of a slower pace :lol:

Some very nice photos though. They do look superb hills in the snow 8)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:05 am

Tough conditions but what a great duo to do in winter :D

I remember hopping over "The other AE" like a happy bunny, but that was on a nice sunny summer day. The traverse between the two mountains looks a proper challenge in winter conditions!

BTW we beat your temperature record by 0.5*C on early Saturday morning: recorded -11*C near Spean Bridge :wink:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby parminder » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:46 pm

Well done FF...another good script of the outing..Thanks for organizing and driving... :clap: :clap:
parminder
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   Corbetts:23
Fionas:25   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:112   Hewitts:2

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland