walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall nan Con - On the hill of the dogs

Meall nan Con - On the hill of the dogs

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:18 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall nan Con

Date walked: 02/02/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 540m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tha e air a bhith greis ....it has been a wee while since i posted a report , not that i have been inactive just don't seem to find the time these days to put anything on WH.

Tha sinn air a bhith a-muigh mun cuairt an Corbetts na làithean sin ...we have mostly been collecting Corbetts and revisiting local hills this last year or so with the odd revisit Munro .

The cold weather here in Suaineart has been long lasting even to low levels with around 6 inches of snow right down to almost sea level the last week , with a good forecast on Saturday and having had further snow fall on Friday i decided to tackle a long term target .

I have driven past the Àird nam Murchan sub 2000's on numerous occasions and always thought "i'll climb these on clear, bright ,snowy days" ..........Uill ' S e disaithrne a bh'ann.

Set of along the loch to the Cill Mhòr turn off which is only 50 mins from my house wondering if i made the right choice given the Alpine conditions and the lure of higher tops which i was resisting ...... with difficulty !.

I found a grand scene awaiting ......

IMG_0838[1].JPG
An rathad shuas

There is many routes onto these hills we choose a direct assualt up the ridge and onto Beinn an Leathaid first ...deep snow and well over the boots ,unusual for this far West but the views were tremendous.

IMG_0843[1].JPG
Beinn Hiant

IMG_0844[1].JPG
Meall nan Con

Soon found ourselves on the summit of Beinn an Leathaid "hill of the slope" for its height quite a tremendous vantage point especially to Na h- Eileanan Beaga or the "Small Isles".

IMG_0860[1].JPG
Na h-eileanan beaga

And to Oirthir Muideart ....the Moidart coastline

IMG_0861[1].JPG
Oirthir Muideart

'S e gaoth fuair a bh'ann .air a mhullach ...cold wind on the summit but well worth the effort over and through the unconslidated snow.
We dropped down directly to the bealach nan eich and then round to the 280m spot in between Leathaid and Meall nan Con. Quite a few hazards here under the snow but kept the boots dry for the most part .

Tremendous outlooks onto Eilean Eige herself between col and glacan

IMG_0849[1].JPG
Eilean Eige

We took the line to the left of a prominent watercourse between Meall nan Con and Coire mam a' Ghaill and soon on the summit ridge of Meall nan Con ..sgionneil !

IMG_0866[1].JPG
Caol Mhuile

IMG_0868[1].JPG
Eilean Eige a' Tuath

The summit offers superb views not only of the islands but a real 360 degree all rounder this one

IMG_0863[1].JPG

IMG_0854[1].JPG
Fascadale agus an Iar

We spent time on the summit before heading down to the Meall Meadhoin which overlooks the lochan Mhic Dhonuill Dhuibh then back up the bealach onto the druim of màm a' ghaill onto Tom Mhic Iain and back to the car.

In all six hours due to the snow but a first class choice on one of the best days in years.....

faodaidh beag a bhith àlainn ...small can be beautiful

IMG_0853[1].JPG
An Cù
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Re: Meall nan Con - On the hill of the dogs

Postby malky_c » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:13 pm

Brilliant - We drove past here on Saturday and I did think briefly about going up it :D . But it looked a bit tedious in the deep snow so we carried on and went to Sanna and the lighthouse instead. Absolutely stunning day, and looks like it would have been worth the effort!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:27 pm

Missed a trick Malky :wink: .... you must have passed my car .

If you are over this way next time give me a shout always time for a cràic :thumbup:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby PeteR » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:18 pm

It's been a long time since I was over in this part of the world. I need to put that right sometime soon. Looks very nice with the covering of snow :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby rockhopper » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:39 am

Sgionneil right enough (with a bit of help from google). Good to see you back - great day for it - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Bricat » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:54 pm

I live in Morvern (Drimnin ) and can see these hills from my house. I have often thought of climbing them and have been on Ben Hiant several times and also the most westerly Beinn na Seilg, which gives superb views. I will probably climb this group in May next year.
Bricat

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland