walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie from Glen Turret

Ben Chonzie from Glen Turret

Postby maxie23 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:23 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 05/02/2019

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1120m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having climbed Ben Chonzie from Glen Lednock, I decided to give it a go from Glen Turret.
Arrived at the car park at the dam at 08.00, the single track road up was a bit of a skating rink at times.
On the way I followed a very large cattle truck up which reversed into a farm road end, I thought he was going to get stuck on every bend, well done that driver.
Weather was quite pleasant at the dam, -2, sunny and sheltered from the East wind. ImageIMG_3910 Glen Turret dam at dawn by robert irvine, on Flickr
Lovely view up the reservoir, the water was very still with a thin coating of ice distorting the reflected views.
ImageIMG_3911 Glen Turret reservoir by robert irvine, on Flickr
The sun was just rising over the horizon back down towards civilization. ImageIMG_3916 Sunrise down the glen by robert irvine, on Flickr
Crossed the dam and began walking alongside the reservoir, the track was a tad icy. ImageIMG_3918 Icy track by robert irvine, on Flickr
The views along the glen were lovely. ImageIMG_3920 Far end of Glen Turret by robert irvine, on Flickr
Climbed up the hillside towards Carn Chois, didn't see an obvious path, saw these two in the distance.
ImageIMG_3921 Deer on the ridge by robert irvine, on Flickr
Once on the ridge you really felt the chill of a nippy East wind, began to cloud over a bit and the views from Carn Chois summit were not very good. ImageIMG_3926 Carn Chois summit, icy by robert irvine, on FlickrImage
IMG_3928 Carn Chois to Ben Chonzie by robert irvine, on Flickr
The walk to the next top, Meall na Seide, was quite enjoyable. The terrain was frozen solid, must be a bit of a bog fest in warmer weather, and you were sheltered from the wind. ImageIMG_3929 Meall na Seide top on the frozen tundra by robert irvine, on FlickrImageIMG_3932 Meall na Seide top back to Carn Chois by robert irvine, on Flickr
The trek from here to Ben Chonzie was a bit more arduous, the snow was a bit deeper and you were back in the wind.
A little scramble and you are up on the summit ridge, boy was it cold at the cairn. ImageIMG_3934 Ben Chonzie summit, brrrrr by robert irvine, on Flickr
Walked a bit past the summit to get out of the wind for a cup of hot soup.
Followed the same route back down, it began to snow halfway there and then turned to rain.
Nice walk, weather could have been a bit better, still enjoyed it.
Attachments

BEN CHONZIE FROM LOCH TURRET.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by maxie23 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Ben Chonzie from Glen Turret

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:35 pm

An interesting-looking route! I've only been up Chonzie by the standard route from Glen Lednock - must give this a try sometime. Probably best to do it in frost, I guess it would be quite boggy otherwise!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby maxie23 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:03 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:An interesting-looking route! I've only been up Chonzie by the standard route from Glen Lednock - must give this a try sometime. Probably best to do it in frost, I guess it would be quite boggy otherwise!

Tim

Tim.

Do it in frost mate, the mid part of the ridge walk between Carn Chois and Meall na Seide, is a sea of peat hags, would be a bit of a nightmare in warmer weather.
Bit more scenic than the Glen Lednock route, in my opinion.

Regards

Robert.
maxie23

Postby Graeme D » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:29 pm

A fine hill, enjoyed to best advantage in winter. The hill that got me properly kick started, nearly 11 years ago now! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:07 am

Much prefer this route to Glen Lednock approach.

If feeling energetic, it's worth heading up the other side of Loch Turret and taking in Auchnafree Hill which allows you to turn the walk into a circular route.

A much maligned hill (being from Crieff originally, I like to defend it!!).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby prog99 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:40 am

Gordie12 wrote:If feeling energetic, it's worth heading up the other side of Loch Turret and taking in Auchnafree Hill which allows you to turn the walk into a circular route.

You can play "Hunt the cairn" on Auchnafree Hill too.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby maxie23 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:16 pm

Graeme D wrote:A fine hill, enjoyed to best advantage in winter. The hill that got me properly kick started, nearly 11 years ago now! :shock:

Graeme

Would agree with winter being the best season for this hill.

Must admit I think this is a great area for walks.
Glen Lednock, Glen Turret and Glen Almond all have good hills and scenery.

p.s. was it really only 11 years ago.
I'll bet the time has flown past.
Regards
maxie23

Postby maxie23 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:19 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Much prefer this route to Glen Lednock approach.

If feeling energetic, it's worth heading up the other side of Loch Turret and taking in Auchnafree Hill which allows you to turn the walk into a circular route.

A much maligned hill (being from Crieff originally, I like to defend it!!).

Gordie12

That would be a good walk for the future.

Ben Chonzie does seem to have a dull reputation.
Like you I think it's great.
Regards
maxie23

Postby maxie23 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:24 pm

prog99 wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:If feeling energetic, it's worth heading up the other side of Loch Turret and taking in Auchnafree Hill which allows you to turn the walk into a circular route.

You can play "Hunt the cairn" on Auchnafree Hill too.

Prog99

Is this the cairn ?
IMG_0900.JPG
Auchnafree Hill Cairn ?
maxie23

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:03 pm

Can't remember how many times I've been on this hill - Winter and Summer: I'm sure this approach is better than the boring (IMO) landrover track from Invergeldie - but there are much nicer approaches from Glen Lednock - e.g reaching Meall na Seide from East Ballindoch. You just have to look at a map instead of following the uninspiring guidebook :(
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland