walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lundie Craigs - belated 2019 debut

Lundie Craigs - belated 2019 debut

Postby denfinella » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:52 pm

Route description: Lundie Craigs circuit, Sidlaws

Date walked: 02/02/2019

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 140m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lundie Craigs.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Looking back over my trip report diary, I'm ashamed to say that it's been three months since we've been for a walk even of modest scale, and four months since we last climbed a hill! There's no single reason for this - moving to Edinburgh, a change in my and my partner's work routines, weather have all played a part. Nevertheless it was about time we headed back into the countryside, and with a dusting of fresh snow over much of Scotland it seemed a good time to go back to the Sidlaws.

Lundie Craigs were the target, and I made the start of the day more interesting than it needed to be by opting to cross the Sidlaws by the direct, unclassified road rather than sticking to the less direct A-road. Fortunately the few centimetres of fresh snow on the tarmac was fairly grippy and hadn't been made more slippery by other cars yet, so we made it to the (already busy) car park in one piece.

The walk itself was more straightforward than anticipated - we reversed the WH route, using the path below the south side of the crags on the way up, and descending by the main track. Perfect conditions for walking, with the ground frozen, blue skies, light winds, clear air and just enough lying snow to make things look pretty. A highlight was our first sighting of a great spotted woodpecker, noisily trying to get inside a pine cone on a high tree branch near the start.

P.S. sorry about the slightly strange colours in some of the pictures - we were experimenting with different settings on the camera and didn't always remember to turn it off :wink:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Nothing exciting to set the forum alight I know, but a very pleasant few hours nevertheless. Here's hoping for something bigger over the next couple of months!
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Lundie Craigs - belated 2019 debut

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Lovely - when we lived in Dundee with youngish kids this was a favourite walk / picnic spot. Thanks for the memories :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Sgurr » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:37 pm

Love doing that walk. When you look at the fields they all look like Macintosh Patrick pictures. Never done it in that lovely snow though.

Should love to know the setting for the wonderful blue on photo 3. I send my photos to BBC Weather Watchers, and hit what I consider the jackpot with a photo of THE beach on Lewis getting on Countryfile. The Weather Guy said "You might almost think this was the Caribbean" And so you might, as I had forgotten to move the dial from sunrise mode, and it was much more pink than it really looked. I felt very embarrassed. However, some of those blues might help. There are now over 200,000 Weather Watchers, so the competition is intense.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby denfinella » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:02 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Lovely - when we lived in Dundee with youngish kids this was a favourite walk / picnic spot. Thanks for the memories :clap: :clap:

Thanks Huff n Puff! Nice place to have close by.

Sgurr wrote:Love doing that walk. When you look at the fields they all look like Macintosh Patrick pictures. Never done it in that lovely snow though.

Should love to know the setting for the wonderful blue on photo 3. I send my photos to BBC Weather Watchers, and hit what I consider the jackpot with a photo of THE beach on Lewis getting on Countryfile. The Weather Guy said "You might almost think this was the Caribbean" And so you might, as I had forgotten to move the dial from sunrise mode, and it was much more pink than it really looked. I felt very embarrassed. However, some of those blues might help. There are now over 200,000 Weather Watchers, so the competition is intense.

You're right, there is something captivating about the shapes of the fields and topography around there. The setting was a "super vivid" setting on our compact digital camera. Unfortunately it does often make things look a bit too vivid, especially with snow on the ground. The standard setting makes the colours a bit dull though. In an ideal world there would be setting which is in between the two, but there isn't... and editing the photos on my laptop would be a bit time consuming.

I'm sure your Weather Watchers picture wasn't that bad! :lol:
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby macq23 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:18 pm

Done Lundie Craigs a few times, a lovely walk to stretch the legs :)
macq23
Hill Bagger

Munros:52   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:6

Postby denfinella » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:06 pm

macq23 wrote:Done Lundie Craigs a few times, a lovely walk to stretch the legs :)

It was indeed! :)
denfinella
Wanderer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland