walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creigh Hill, Angus

Creigh Hill, Angus

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:20 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Creigh Hill

Date walked: 15/12/2010

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 218m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The air clarity was absolutely perfect, with clear blue skies, bright sun and a fresh light breeze. Where it still lay, the snow under foot was firm in most areas with softer bits threatening to hold on to the trodden foot. It was certainly a walk for wearing the shades and testing out the new micro spikes which get a big thumbs up from me. My poor hat however, was relegated to the bag as it was too hot a walk to be needed.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Mez in tow, I parked at the parking area along Backwater Reservoir at 26037 59767. The start of the walk was through the metal gate, just a few feet back along the road from the parking area. Once through the gate, there’s a fence that runs along to the left and up the hill in which sheep were safely foraging for their crispy grass on the other side.

We ascended up the path towards Macritch Hill which would have been quite slippery. I made the mistake of putting my water bottle down, only to watch it slide away .....

Views from half way up Macritch Hill

Getting near the top of Macritch Hill

Look close... its Mez giving the sheep the hairy eye ball

Although you can get to the summit of Macritch Hill, you have to trawl through the thick heather.

I skirted around it.

When you reach the end of the fence line, the fence continues at a sharp right angle so we turned right to follow the path up towards Creigh Hill. At this point I donned my shades as the sun was too dazzling and from here, all the pictures had to be taken from the summit and descent of Creigh Hill.

Creigh Hill summit

Retraced our steps to get back...

Descent views

Wonder where this plane is going?

Reservoir Stuff

Perfect day in Angus...
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Re: Creigh Hill, Angus

Postby GraemeMac » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:33 pm

u don't have to wonder where the plane is going when the conditions are that good at home 8) , nice pics
GraemeMac

Munros:32   Corbetts:11
Fionas:8   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:37   

Postby dooterbang » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:43 pm

Well done Merry Walker....oot walking 2 days on zee trot, WOW!!

Nice report, and a fine day for walking :)

Oh and the plane? Its heading for Fantasy Island :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Wanderlust » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:48 pm

Looks like you had a great day for it, nothing better than a clear winter's day on the hill :)

Merry-walker wrote:I made the mistake of putting my water bottle down, only to watch it slide away .....
...happened to me one time, had to chase my flask which rolling down Ben Challum :lol:
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Postby foggieclimber » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:11 pm

Did this hill a couple of months ago. Forgot the batteries for my camera so great to see such a fine set of photos in this report.
Cheers.
foggieclimber

Postby rockhopper » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:44 pm

Nice trip - lovely depth of colour in your photos. 8) Just goes to show the variability in the weather when you need to put your hat away.

After seeing a thread on them, I've been looking at the Kahtula microspikes, eg for when there's too little snow/ice for crampons but it's icy/rocky - looks like you would recommend them ?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:37 am

rockhopper wrote:Nice trip - lovely depth of colour in your photos. 8) Just goes to show the variability in the weather when you need to put your hat away.

After seeing a thread on them, I've been looking at the Kahtula microspikes, eg for when there's too little snow/ice for crampons but it's icy/rocky - looks like you would recommend them ?

Difficult to say Rockhopper, I originally wanted crampons but the man in the shop said my boots were unsuitable. I had a fair bit of ice on this walk and didn't slip at all either up or down. But this ascent wasn't steep at all, it might be different on some thing steeper. Just had to suck it and see and this weekend will give me a better idea of them.
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:44 am

Thank you all for your comments :D

Full set of pictures can be looked at here
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland