walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Baw deep in the white stuff!

Baw deep in the white stuff!

Postby Jaxter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:23 pm

Route description: Auchnafree Hill from Loch Turret

Corbetts included on this walk: Auchnafree Hill

Date walked: 15/02/2018

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13.66 km

Ascent: 1002m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A very last minute text about 9pm the night before…. “Colin, fancy Auchnafree Hill in the morning?” led to an early start as I insisted on being back in time for the rugby.

We parked up at the sizeable parking area at the Loch Turret Dam where it was very windy – the car was being buffeted by the gusts even at ground level :shock:

Heading off along the track it was very cold but the beginnings of a sunrise and some rosy red glow bouncing off the snow warmed our hearts if not our hands…. :lol:

We made progress down the icy track without too many incidents… but it was very slippery! It was shaping up to be a stunner of a day!

The track meant that we covered distance easily and we were starting to work up a bit of warmth too :lol:

Looking back the sun was rising above the dam (this helped with the warming effort too :lol: 8)

Waterfall

The track started to climb as we got further down the loch and we were able to see down to the end and a possible ascent route to Ben Chonzie

Looking back down the loch

On previous trips here, Colin had just headed directly uphill but given the conditions we figured it walking would be easier on the track! So we continued until the track split and followed the right hand branch uphill. So far so good….

Looking back

Colin chose to stand on a large rock

So did I

White rabbit!

As we climbed we were relatively sheltered from the wind and were able to stop and be daft :lol:

Further on the snow had made some really awesome patterns on the track which looked cool but made it a lot more difficult to walk as it was very soft :lol:

Trying to stay on top of the snow

Looking back (any excuse for a breather :lol:

Colin & Jura stopped for a rest :roll:

We figured that the deep snow on the track was no easier than on the hill so we abandoned the track and headed straight upwards towards Auchnafree Hill.

This way Colin…. :lol:

The wind and snow had combined to make some awesome snow-scapes 8)

This would be our return route

Summit ahoy!

It was tough going in the wind and sinky snow and it was with some relief that we reached the large cairn that may or may not have marked the top (we thought a wee rise to the North looked higher!)

Creag Uchdag and the Lawers hills

Ben Vorlich & Stuc a’ Chroin

Ben Chonzie

Colin looking like a numpty :lol:

It was a beautiful clear day!

We had a wee wander to the higher point and looking back it did look like we were higher!

Ben Chonzie & Lawers

I think this might be Schiehallion in the distance :crazy:

The summit of Auchnafree Hill and back the way we had come

We headed towards our next target (the minor summit of Choinneachain Hill) and it got a bit wild – the wind and the loose snow had turned Auchnafree Hill into the Arctic!

Upon reaching the track we found it….submerged :lol:

Me demonstrating the size of the drifts :shock:

A couple of folk ahead of us

We found that walking alongside the track was sometimes easier :lol:

Reaching the bealach between the two hills we could see back down the to reservoir – a stunning we corner of the country

Hardcore – it was sunglasses time!

Our “route”

There was a lot of undignified falling up to our waists in snow along this section. Fortunately there is no photographic evidence of this as one of us were too busy laughing at the other :lol:

Choinneachain Hill

I think these are the Glen Artney Donalds?

Did I mention it was windy?!

Now on the ridge, the walking was a bit easier underfoot but we were now being assaulted by the wind :shock:

The end of the Loch and Ben Chonzie

Stuc a’ Chroin

Down the ridge – our route onwards

I think these are the Lomonds

Colin doing better at standing up in the wind than me :lol:

We picked up a vague path which was leading us down towards the loch where the sun was almost making the water sparkle

Don’t jump, Colin!

Once the gradient eased we headed straight down towards the track

Back on the track we were able to see back down the reservoir

A slight rise in temperature and more footfall had made the track a lot less icy which was awesome :D

An easy hill done in some interesting conditions (cos easy is boring :lol: ) and timed to perfection as I walked through my front door in time for “Flower of Scotland” and an excellent victory against the French 8) :D

Auchnafree Hill.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Baw deep in the white stuff!

Postby PeteR » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:52 pm

I remember doing this one in the snow myself...........just not that much snow :lol:

Does look very nice though with a covering of the white stuff
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Coop » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:23 pm

Did this in the snow as well. It was like a sheet if ice trying to drive that track to the parking area - hoping a lorry wouldn't come my way.
That wee rise is probably the summit - it used to have a cairn on it - until someone probably took it upon themselves to remove it!!
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:09 pm

Look at that blue sky!

It always feels more rewarding when you have to work hard in deep snow and wind, like Scott of the Antarctic, to enjoy a round in the winter sun.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:52 pm

PeteR wrote:I remember doing this one in the snow myself...........just not that much snow :lol:

Does look very nice though with a covering of the white stuff

It was a lot of fun, pretty tiring though :lol: :lol:

Coop wrote:Did this in the snow as well. It was like a sheet if ice trying to drive that track to the parking area - hoping a lorry wouldn't come my way.
That wee rise is probably the summit - it used to have a cairn on it - until someone probably took it upon themselves to remove it!!

Yeah - I was glad Colin and his winter tyres was driving that bit :shock: :lol:

Mal Grey wrote:Look at that blue sky!

It always feels more rewarding when you have to work hard in deep snow and wind, like Scott of the Antarctic, to enjoy a round in the winter sun.

Absolutely agree :lol: Sometimes a nice easy summer day can turn into a total mission :shock: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Got a bit confused re the rugby reference (easily done :roll: )....until I checked the date :silent: A number of options for mix/match around here - does look good in the snow - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Jaxter » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:24 am

rockhopper wrote:Got a bit confused re the rugby reference (easily done :roll: )....until I checked the date :silent: A number of options for mix/match around here - does look good in the snow - cheers :)

Ah... Yes it's one from last year I never got around to posting :lol: confusing though, because it's most a year to the day!
Jaxter
Wanderer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland