walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dinnet dander among the deer fences Scar & Corrachree hills

Dinnet dander among the deer fences Scar & Corrachree hills

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:42 pm

Date walked: 12/02/2019

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 250m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a few domestics , I picked up GordonC, JohnB and finally Harvey, then off to Dinnet for our day's walk.
We were targetting the HuMPS of Scar Hill and Hill of Corrachree just north of Dinnet. We found a parkup slot where the Mullochdhu track branched off.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Scar Hill parkup.jpg
The Scar Hill Parkup

Good job we managed to park clear of the road, as a JCB digger came down from Burnside a few minutes after we stopped.
Where the track turned right into Altonrea there was a gate camouflaged by a roly straw bale and some other stuff.

The first gate by Altonrea.jpg
The first gate by Altonrea
The second gate.jpg
The second gate after the prickly whins

Through the gate, the track was overgrown by prickly whins. After the whins was another gate taking us out into the birch wood beyond. The track hadn't been used very much and was overgrown with grass. However it was easily followed up through the trees until we had to decide where to go next

The track through the birch woods.jpg
The track up through the birch woods

I chose the bealach between the top marked "cairn" and the main top, but I kept to the south of the fence initially blundering through the broom until GordonC shouted that there was quad track on the other side of the fence.
I was subsequently stripped of my Ray Mears trackers medal while GordonC received a bar to his !

Harvey helping us over the fence.jpg
Harvey helping us over the fence

We followed this track to the top then wandered around to find the highest spot before stopping for a wee while to admire the scenery from the cairn.

Far's tha tap.jpg
Far's the tap Gordon ?
JohnB & Harvey at the cairn of Scar Hill.jpg
JohnB and Harvey at Scar Hill's cairn

Morven from Scar Hill.jpg
Morven from Scar Hill

It was starting to brighten up, so we headed down the quad track before crossing back over the fence again to regain the track marked on the map.
After heaving Harvey over the fence again I noticed a gate a wee bit futher along towards the bealach that would've been a better place to cross the fence. Another of these all too frequent doh moments these days !.
As we passed Altonrea a muckle great dog ( something of the size of a Newfoundlander ) started barking at us - fortunately from behind a high gate, so we escaped without any bits of us missing

=====================================================================================================================

HILL OF CORRACHREE

We headed off up the road through Logie Coldstone and parked up just along the Collordon track.
John immediately spotted the path alongside a newly erected deer fence, mentioned by Nordicstar on the Hillbagging site..

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The Corrachree parkup.jpg
The Corrachree parkup.

The path up Corrachree.jpg
The path up Corrachree

Gate into the fenced forestry.jpg
Gate into the fenced forestry

There had been a trials biker up the path churning it up a bit. A wee mini fence had been erected beside the road to try to disuade the biker/s.
The path took us up the steep bit initially, then through a gate in the deer fence to take us over the brow o the hill to another gate, which I started to open until GordonC pointed out that the fence was down a few metres to the south. Doh again ! The track took us south then along the crest of the hill until the new deer fence appeard again, blocking our progress. Rather unsporting we thought, not to provide a style for us auld billies ! We checked left and right for a gate to get Harvey over, then decided to go to the south to climb over the fence in the corner. Near the corner, we came across a new ( to us ) contraption to allow a mystery animal to get through the fence. ( maybe badgers ? )

Harvey checking the deer fence.jpg
Harvey checking the dear fence

The Harvey flap.jpg
The "Harvey flap" in the deer fence

It transpired that there was just enough room for Harvey to squeeze through, so we christened it the"Harvey flap".

Varous animal tracks took us to the trig which had an abundance of sheep/rabbit droppings around it.
We took in the view to Morven to the north and Mt Keen to the south.

GordonB hugs Corrachree's trig.JPG
GordonB hugs Corrachrree's trig

JohnB gazes wisfully to Mt Keen.jpg
JohnB gazes wistfully to Mt Keen

JohnB Harvey and GordonC at the top of Corrachree.jpg
JohnB, Harvey and GordonC at the top of Corrachree

Morven from Corrachree.jpg
Morven from Corrachree

The wind had picked up so we retreated to the shelter of some pine trees on the other side of the deer fence for our piece.After having fended Harvey off our pieces, I noticed a ladybird on the laces of my shoe, which surprised us all, as we thought they either hibernated or migrated during the winter. ( what do we know - eh ? Another wiki-job when we get back )

Winter ladybirds at our piece stop.jpg
Winter ladybirds at our piece stop

Back the the car. we mounted up, and with a wheel-spinning about turn, headed along the B9119, which took us home - reminiscing about our previous ascents of Craiglich and Benaquhallie ( which still retains half of GordonC's spec case in the bowels of its trig) - on the way.
A grand day out with our new hill- buddie JohnB.
Gordon Ballantyne
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:86
Grahams:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:48   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland