walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

51 year old beaten up by 81 year old

51 year old beaten up by 81 year old

Postby litljortindan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:07 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Creag nan Gabhar

Date walked: 11/02/2019

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 500m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well this was a pleasant surprise. Original plan of a walk to Coire Loch Kander from the west abandoned after being put off by the perceived amount of snow, I doubled back to the Callater car park intending to walk to Creag Phadruig but soon abandoned this idea too (this time because of the absence of snow) in favour of the more inviting walk to Creag nan Gabhar.

On nearing the 584m point I spotted a fast-moving figure below. I estimated that they would pass me in about fifteen minutes and, sure enough, the figure appeared and we exchanged hellos. But I did a double take when I saw the extravagant large, pointy grey beard before me and the undeniably aged facial features. I cheekily enquired if I could ask the chap's age and he obliged with the answer 81 plus the surprising fact that he'd started on the Munros at age 65 and had finished them a few years ago. The speed with which he then disappeared ahead was either inspiring or demoralising (or, ok, my conversation is that bad). I've encountered a few oldies on the hills but none quite so sprightly -they could not escape!

My expectations of the walk were fairly low though I'd noted form the map that I should get a decent view along Loch Callater and of the hills beyond and so it proved. However, the views up and down Glen Clunie were additionally a lot better than anticipated with the cornice on Sgor Mor particularly eye catching.

The final icing on the cake, so to speak, was a fine prospect of The Cairnwell backed by some cloud. Not a hill I'd usually associate with drama but this day it looked very fine in its cloak of white.

In reality I got to the top before the 81 year old but only because he'd stopped to put on his crampons. On the way down he zoomed ahead again. I tried to see if I could match his pace at a distance but there was still a relentless widening of the gap until the crampons came off again. I caught up and asked him what got him started on the Munros. Well it turns out he had been walking before moving to Scotland in 1982 so not quite a start from nothing at age 65. What's more he's still lecturing maths part time for the OU and has tutored either their or the UK'd oldest graduate -a 92 year old!

Had I encountered a possible version of my future self I wondered -still walking and still tutoring maths thirty years hence.

Back to reality with a bump the next morning in the barber's shop as an ex-lorry driver came in on his mobility crutches. Health is a bit of a lottery it seems.

Loch Callater

Sgor Mor (I think) on the right with a bit of snow.

Glas Tulaichean??

View south from top.

Zoom to Cairnwell.

Last edited by litljortindan on Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: 81 year old beats 51 year old up

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:31 am

Reminds me of a few years ago as I sweated my way up Ben Vorlich (the Loch Earn one). I could see a guy coming down off the hill at speed and as he got closer I could see he was running. He stopped and advised me that twice a week he took the car and early in the morning he would run up Ben Lomond, Ben Vorlich and Ben Lawers and get home for lunch.

He was in his 70's!!!

And there was me thinking I was reasonably fit :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Glengavel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:27 am

litljortindan wrote:Back to reality with a bump the next morning in the barber's shop as an ex-lorry driver came in on his mobility crutches. Health is a bit of a lottery it seems.

A hazard of the job, my ex-lorry-driving dad's knees are shot, all those years of jumping in and out of cabs and standing on brake and clutch pedals. OK, he's in his 80s now but he's been struggling with them for the last 20-odd years.

Gordie12 wrote:Reminds me of a few years ago as I sweated my way up Ben Vorlich (the Loch Earn one). I could see a guy coming down off the hill at speed and as he got closer I could see he was running. He stopped and advised me that twice a week he took the car and early in the morning he would run up Ben Lomond, Ben Vorlich and Ben Lawers and get home for lunch.

What, all three at one?!? It would take me 5 hours to drive round that lot, never mind run up the hills.

Reminds me of a story I heard about a well known climber who worked as a doctor in Glasgow. If he had a few hours spare at lunch he would phone a colleague and they'd set off and climb Ben Arthur or the like.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby Sgurr » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:39 pm

I LIKE people 30 years older than me beating me up the hill. Shows there is hope for the future. Alas, there are few hill-walking 109 year olds left.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby rockhopper » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:47 pm

51 years young....lucky you.
Think I took the straight up and down from the A93 - your route looks niced esp with snow - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:53 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Reminds me of a few years ago as I sweated my way up Ben Vorlich (the Loch Earn one). I could see a guy coming down off the hill at speed and as he got closer I could see he was running. He stopped and advised me that twice a week he took the car and early in the morning he would run up Ben Lomond, Ben Vorlich and Ben Lawers and get home for lunch.

He was in his 70's!!!

And there was me thinking I was reasonably fit :shock: :shock: :shock:

Amazing what some folk can do. I suppose if I see and hear of older folk on the hills then I can imagine myself managing that too in some form or other. Not running up and down them though!
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:02 pm

Glengavel wrote:
A hazard of the job, my ex-lorry-driving dad's knees are shot, all those years of jumping in and out of cabs and standing on brake and clutch pedals. OK, he's in his 80s now but he's been struggling with them for the last 20-odd years.

Sorry to hear that.
My dad was mobile until about seventy-five then gradually declined, maybe because of his vascular dementia. I did think of him too on this walk as he died aged 82. Don't think he could ever have been running about on the hills at 82 but who knows how much the past determines the future.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:06 pm

Sgurr wrote:I LIKE people 30 years older than me beating me up the hill. Shows there is hope for the future. Alas, there are few hill-walking 109 year olds left.

Well I think I was more inspired than demoralised but I doubt my ability to be quite so springy as the 81 year old when I get there. But I always say to folk I will crawl up hills before I give up on visiting them.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:36 pm

rockhopper wrote:51 years young....lucky you.
Think I took the straight up and down from the A93 - your route looks niced esp with snow - cheers :)

Yes I suppose you only get to spend those years once.
I would have possibly gone from the west too (on the other path to Glen Callater) but for the seeming large amounts of snow. Hopefully more visits to Glen Callater to follow.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby jmarkb » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:11 pm

litljortindan wrote:Hopefully more visits to Glen Callater to follow.

I can recommend a traverse of the ridge on the NE side of Glen Callater (Creag an Loch to Millstone Cairn) - I suspect they are neglected as they are not in any of the major lists.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:15 pm

Not too often this one pops up in a walk report. Nice to see again. I had a rather fine summit camp up there many moons ago, albeit in considerably less wintry conditions.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby litljortindan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:54 pm

jmarkb wrote:
litljortindan wrote:Hopefully more visits to Glen Callater to follow.

I can recommend a traverse of the ridge on the NE side of Glen Callater (Creag an Loch to Millstone Cairn) - I suspect they are neglected as they are not in any of the major lists.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a good option and I like the look of it on the map too.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:05 am

Graeme D wrote:Not too often this one pops up in a walk report. Nice to see again. I had a rather fine summit camp up there many moons ago, albeit in considerably less wintry conditions.

It looks a fantastic area for walking. I must admit I'd always previously dismissed the Glen Clunie area a bit but I'm having to rethink that.
litljortindan
Ambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland