walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seana Braigh

Seana Braigh

Postby thand » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:10 pm

Route description: Seana Bhràigh

Munros included on this walk: Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 16/06/2018

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1095m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Brad's cousin (Martin) was up from Warrington in his uni summer and as he was a walker Brad wanted to show him Scotland.

we had originally made plans to do Ben Avon and BEinn a'Bhurd with a camp at the bealach but the weather put pay to that.

Scouring the forecasts on the saturday morning I spotted it would be better weatehr North so Brad and I left Echt about 11 to pick up Martin in Ballater

We headed to inverness and had meeting in Burger King where we saw ullapool was best. As neither brad and I had done SB and it looked ok ish for weather we headed to Inverlael.

The rain stopped as we pulled up about 4pm.

We suited up and headed up the path and the steep climb up the shoulder (not fun with full packs).

We topped up water and had a dram at the lochains under Meall a'Choire Ghlas.before heading over the top and into a very remote feeling high corrie. We popped over the top and started the drop down to the bealach (Gate of Ca'-Derg) and could see the summit. So far so good .

As we started the pull up to the summit the cloud came down and visibility dropped right down. We found the summit on compass bearing and set up the tents.

Due to the cloud we put on all our insulation and waterproofs which was fortunate as it started to rain .

We stayed int he cairn to cook and have a few more drams before bed.

I think I set up my tent small end and vent into the wind as it was a cold night.

I woke up about 5am to beautifull sunshine and woke up the guys.

We spent a couple of hours on the summit eating breakfast over an inversion and amazing views of the cliffs and the assynt hills.

About 7.30 we headed back down and were soon at the car. Stopped at Tesco inverness for some protein and dropped martin off in Ballater for his week in the highlands
thand
Munro compleatist

Munros:192   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland