walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Suggested improvements to the instructions.

Suggested improvements to the instructions.

Postby bydand1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:31 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 14/02/2019

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 700m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We always intended to climb Beinn Tulaichean only. Significantly it was cloudy above 400 metres.
FIrstly, you have to head west from the fast trunk A84 at Balquhidder and the Kingshouse Hotel. However, confusingly, you have to turn EAST off the fast trunk A84 at Balquhidder and the Kingshouse Hotel before bending down and then west through the underpass below the A84. For safety it would be a help to include it in the instructions.
Secondly "At 500m a fence line runs across the slope - passing through a gate in this at" what is given as a wrong reference number. The given one is in fact towards Ben More! I checked the correct one on the way up and down on my GPS and the OS map as 42645 18765. This fits onto the SE ridge.
Thirdly, as you reach the ridge line there is a significant dogleg from going up NW to NNW. We were in cloud so it became more significant. Otherwise, we were heading for the cliffs on the west side of the hill! While it is shown on your map and there is a path that would not be visible in snow, would it be safer if this was mentioned in the instructions with a map reference. That would be about 418192.
Hopefully all these can help. I'm not wanting just to moan! I love Walk Highlands and the service it provides, thanks.
bydand1
Mountain Walker

Re: Suggested improvements to the instructions.

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:59 am

Many thanks, and apologies for our error in transposing the grid reference - embarrassed by this as we only recently re-walked this route and updated it. I've now corrected this, and mentioned explicitly the change in path direction as you suggest.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland