walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mid Hill - unknown pleasures

Mid Hill - unknown pleasures

Postby thepigguy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:18 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Mid Hill (Mainland Orkney)

Date walked: 11/07/2018

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 8.18 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Here's one I climbed last summer.

Ask most Orcadians where Mid Hill is and you'll likely get a blank look, maybe a shrug of the shoulders. The highest point in the Mainland is that kind of hill - quiet, unassuming, just getting on with the job - a bit of an introvert.

There's a straightforward climb up Mid Hill's slightly flashier neighbour Ward Hill from the main road in Orphir, but the easiest way is to start at the parking place at the highest point of the minor road that climbs over Scorradale.

I was warming up for my first Munro outing last July and, with our small terrier Mij coming along, a stretch out to Mid Hill seemed ideal. I also had unfinished business after a failed attempt to get up the hill when I took a wrong path and ended up knee deep in one of Orkney's many upland bogs.

Leaving the car in the lay-by, we headed along the well-worn track, climbing gently and steadily towards Gruf Hill, taking a quick detour across the heather to bag the summit of the Tump.

midhill1.jpg
The track from the parking place at Scorradale

At times the track is worn to a depth of several feet and at most times of the year is very wet, but this was after a month of dry weather and the going was generally good.

rsz_midhill2.jpg
Typical Orkney Mainland hill landscape

After just over a mile there's a small cairn which marks the place to leave the track and head for an old fence at the edge of the firing range. Last winter I stayed on the track which bends away to the left and ended up tackling the mother of all blanket bogs.

midhill3.jpg
A fairly new cairn marks where it's best to leave the track and head directly towards Ward Hill

Reaching the fence (which was then in a very poor state) I decided to climb over as there was no sign of any activity on the firing range. We made our way over to another track with took us towards Ward Hill, getting vaguer the higher we went.

midhill4.jpg
Mij heading up into the clag

The stiffest part of the walk took us towards some low cloud which happily cleared for a few minutes by the time we reached the summit of Ward Hill.

midhill6.jpg
A moment of clarity on Ward Hill, looking from the trig towards Keelylang.

rsz_midhill7.jpg
Scapa Flow and Flotta from Ward Hill

From there it was a simple job to drop down to the bealach (or whatever the Orkney equivalent is) and take a gentle walk - hopping over another decrepit fence - to the top of Mid Hill, seven metres higher than Ward Hill. The summit cairn was a poor affair and by then the cloud had come back down so the views were restricted, but on a clear day this - like any other hill in the islands, is a fabulous spot to be.

rsz_midhill8.jpg
The last gentle climb up Mid Hill from Ward Hill

rsz_midhill10.jpg
Unassuming cairn for an unassuming hill. Mij bags his third Scottish Marilyn.

On the way down I tried to be smart and took a more direct route which ran into some brand new stock fencing which had been expertly put up, tight as could be and about chest high. I lifted Mij over and made my way to the strainer, and managed to climb over myself there.

Heading back over Gruf Hill, the views over to Hoy came and went with the cloud and I reached the car feeling ready to take on my first Munros.

rsz_midhill9.jpg
Heading back down Ward Hill with the Tumps Gruf Hill (foreground) and Hill of Midland
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland