walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Douglas Grahams

Glen Douglas Grahams

Postby weaselmaster » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (Loch Lomond), Tullich Hill

Date walked: 16/02/2019

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10.6 km

Ascent: 1055m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had things to do today, so a quick couple of hills near to home was in order. Drive to Glen Douglas misty and rain threatening - windy too. I'm always surprised by these wee narrow roads coming from the A82 - Glen Luss is similar. Had forgotten there was a designated parking area just before Tullich Farm - very handy. Emerged from the car into drizzle and gusts.

tullichx.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There wasn't any real option about route for these two - I followed the same path as last time - could have done it in reverse I suppose. Followed the fenceline beside the tree plantation up Beinn Bhreac. Squidgy underfoot, saw my first frog of the year, sitting looking balefully about - "it's bloody mid-February, why am I out of my bed?" Clag descended from about 550m, so summit without views. Headed over to Ben Reoch - I guess folk that do this horseshoe have no option to collect the 2 Simms that make up Reoch - one of them a HuMP too :wink: All done in mist, sadly.

Misty Tullich Hill
ImageP2160260 by Al, on Flickr

Puddock
ImageP2160261 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Bhreac
ImageP2160263 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP2160264 by Al, on Flickr

Loch Long
ImageP2160266 by Al, on Flickr

Then down the steep SW side of Reoch, following the remains of old fence posts, some erosion at one point requiring a bit of care. A gang of deer were waiting, watchful on the Tullich Hill side of "the string" as the bealach seems to be called. I paused for lunch out of the worst of the drizzle, contemplating the steep pull up Tullich Hill. Which was easier than I remembered it being. Then a question of find the summit cairn in the mist. A clear path takes you off the SE shoulder where there are a couple of stiles over the fences, complete with dog gates. Nearing the car, the sun comes out and the summits are clear. Good timing from me again :roll:

Tullich Hill
ImageP2160267 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP2160268 by Al, on Flickr

If you look closely you can see the sheep-look out on the crag
ImageP2160269 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP2160270 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Bhreac
ImageP2160271 by Al, on Flickr

Orange sheep
ImageP2160273 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP2160274 by Al, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Glen Douglas Grahams

Postby Graeme D » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:23 pm

Looks highly reminiscent of most of my recent hill days! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland