walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Oss & Beinn Dubhchraig

Ben Oss & Beinn Dubhchraig

Postby Jelly » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:47 pm

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Oss

Date walked: 12/12/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1173m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Oss Bein Dubhchraig.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Left Perth around 07:30am. Most of the snow had disappeared from the previous weekend. Though we packed the ice axe and crampons as there was still considerable snow patches on the tops.
DSCF8956.JPG
Crossing the River Connonish at Dalrigh, start of the day!

DSCF8960.JPG
bbrrgh! It was a cold morning! Jack frost everywhere

Followed the path west until we reached a rail crossing, we then walked south towards the Caledonian forest with old scots pine.
DSCF8965.JPG
Railway line at crossing, looking left

After following the track for about 1km, we decided that we should be on the other side of the river. So made a decision to cross. I went on through with good boots and gators. Didnt get wet, though came close to a total dunking. It wasn't the day for that, with ice on every rock, so friend Peter decided to take his sock and shoes off and make a more strategic crossing. Brrrrrgh! it must have been freezing. Brave Lad!
DSCF8993.JPG
River that we had to cross with native scots pine all round!

DSCF8995.JPG
A rather cold crossing! Though better than having wet feet all day!

DSCF8996.JPG
Blue feet after that!

DSCF9004.JPG
Walking up to Allt Coire Dubhchraig across boggy ground! Lucky it was frozen

DSCF9008.JPG
Scots Pine

DSCF9009.JPG
Followed up the forestry plantation until we reached the Allt Coire Dubhchraig

DSCF9014.JPG
Views North towards Tyndrum Hills over Caledonian Forest

DSCF9018.JPG
Walking up next to Allt Coire Dubhchraig watercoure, great views to North, Beinn Dorain on left

DSCF9019.JPG
Nice Waterfall nearing top Allt Coire Dubhchraig

DSCF9022.JPG
Time for the Crampons, started to get icy and coire steepening

DSCF9028.JPG
Heading up Steep Snow Chute to top of Bein Dubhchraig

DSCF9029.JPG
Pete on the Snow

DSCF9030.JPG

Great View from the top of Beinn Dubhchraig all round. Glad of the sunglasses with all the snow glare.
DSCF9034.JPG
Nearing the summit of Bein Dubhchraig

DSCF9035.JPG
Great Views South! LTR Ben Lomond, Loch Lomond, Arrochar Alps

DSCF9042.JPG
Ben Lui and Ben Oss behind

DSCF9055.JPG
Ben Lui

DSCF9051.JPG
Now to Head to Ben Oss, Ben Lui behind

DSCF9062.JPG
Heading up Ridge onto Ben Oss Summit, view of Benmore behind covered in Snow

DSCF9070.JPG
Ben Oss summit

DSCF9082.JPG
Crianlarich Hills

These two hills really where really good, gave great views all round. A long walk back to the car though,as we drop down into Glen and Walked past Cononish farm and road to Gold mine. Was dark by the time we got to car at Dalrigh, easy walking along landrover track though. Got very cold as we arrived at car. Went to the Hotel in Crianlarich for a well deserved pint. Nice place, they even stoked up the wood burner for us to sit and defrost next too. Lots of cool stuffed animals and antiques etc. Cosy place!. Another great Sunday hike :-)
Last edited by Jelly on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jelly
Mountain Walker

Munros:267   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Ben Oss & Beinn Dubhchraig

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:58 am

Nice trip and route with some great photos esp Great Views South! LTR Ben Lomond, Loch Lomond, Arrochar Alps :D I loved the approach up Cononish as the views just open out the further you go along the track.

Your feet must've been freezing ! Your ascent route on Beinn Dubhchraig wasn't far away from the ridge I descended on the way down when I was up there but I was going back to my bike which I'd left at the end of the track before Ben Lui so I didn't have to wade through the water. The map suggests there's a bridge at Cononish but you'd then have needed to cross all the wee burns to get round to Coire Buidhe which may have been just as much trouble. :thumbup:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mountain coward » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:11 am

We took the same ascent route to start and didn't have to wade any rivers - there were bridges across them all which the normal path takes - you must have missed them somehow! I'm also surprised you went up what appears to be the middle of the corrie instead of up the ridge to your right as that is much easier - granted, you might not have wanted it too easy and might have fancied the steep climb up out of the corrie... Some good photos there. I really loved that walk. And I always wade rivers nowadays instead of risking getting wet feet all day. You'd think the freezing rivers would make your feet cold for the day but it actually makes them warmer for the rest of the day as your blood supply to your feet goes completely mad afterwards! :lol: What was that descent to the Cononish like? I thought that side of Oss looked a bit too steep for me for a descent...
mountain coward

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:12 am

Really enjoyable report :thumbup: . Don't fancy that river crossing for one second though - not sure I'd ever get my feet warm again :? .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby mountain coward » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:47 am

Honestly, they warm up more or less as soon as you get out and start drying them... Then they go red-hot for the rest of the day.
mountain coward

Postby Graeme D » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:49 pm

mountain coward wrote:Honestly, they warm up more or less as soon as you get out and start drying them... Then they go red-hot for the rest of the day.

Yeah, maybe MC, but that crossing had to have hurt like hell! :(

Nice report Jelly - good to see another Fair City poster on here. If you're ever back to do Dubhcraig again, I'd highly recommend crossing the railway and then bearing straight up onto Fiarach before cutting around and ascending Dubhcraig from the opposite side. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mountain coward » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:30 pm

Certainly hurts at the time but I prefer the pain of freezing water to the pain of feeling the rocks under your feet! But I still can't see where a river crossing was necessary on that route... did you guys turn left out of the carpark?
mountain coward

Postby Jelly » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:18 pm

We did turn left and cross the river Cononish, after that we followed the landrover track up the hill over the rail bridge, then we past a bridge over smaller watercourse that is now in a very bad state of repair, so followed the watercourse further up, looking for a shallow place to cross. I went through ok, good boots and gators, though was more of a mad dash :-) Rocks very slippy,and i could have taken a dip, thus friend decided to take his boots off and walk through slowly. Route we took was fine, especially with the boggy section being frozen, so made for easy going. Decided to take the steep route up to Beinn Dubhchraig, as we both had crampons and wanted to test them out, made for a good hard calf-burning work out!. Just the ticket!
Jelly
Mountain Walker

Munros:267   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:1

Postby mountain coward » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:21 am

Ah, I know the spot you mean - we just used the rickety bridge - it was okay - wasn't many months ago...
mountain coward

Postby alanmurray » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:07 pm

Good report Jelly.
Nice pictures of Peter crossing the river.
Photos fantastic - I'd wish I decided to go.
I now have crampons so no excuses

Alan
alanmurray
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:33
Fionas:4   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:1

Postby tango » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:25 pm

Excellent report & great photos, thanks for that! :D
tango

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland