walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Maol & Creag Leacach - No snow!

Glas Maol & Creag Leacach - No snow!

Postby jwramsay » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:25 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Càrn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 24/02/2019

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Very short video of the hike-it was rather blowy!

Started at carpark across from the Ski centre (200 feet of a start!) just after 10am and back for 3pm.

The rounded lump that is Glas Maol:

My Daughter Megan and I atop Glas Maol:

Straight up to Glas Maol (1068m) and then down to meet the dry stane dyke that takes you all the way to the much better summit of Creag Leacach (978m). Drop back down to the cairn and skirt along the well defined patch that bypasases the need to summit Glas Maol again.

The Cairnwell Pass a full 1000 feet between snowgates:

Megan and I atop Creag Leacach:

Spotted some ptarmigan in their winter plumage:

Creag Leacach with its head is the clouds - great to meet Emma and her Dad and bad this munro with them:
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland