walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chaorainn and Beinn Teallach, 2 Glen Spean munros

Beinn a'Chaorainn and Beinn Teallach, 2 Glen Spean munros

Postby gld73 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:39 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chaorainn & Beinn Teallach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Glen Spean), Beinn Teallach

Date walked: 24/02/2019

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1172m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Got called out twice overnight when on call at Aviemore, so not the best night's sleep before hitting some munros - but the weather was great everywhere in the Highlands so not going up a mountain wasn't an option....

So once I was off the bell, had the hotel cooked breakfast and headed to Glen Spean to do these 2 munros as it didn't sound like too epic an hike. One car parked at the entrance to the forestry track when I arrived, plenty room for me (and a couple of others if anyone else came). Not much to say to describe the route as I more or less followed the WH route; as usual, not obsessively as I don't walk sticking to an accurate gps route, but roughly the same.

The route wasn't as boggy as I'd feared from the description, never had to put gaiters on despite the recent snow melt, waterproof boots were enough to keep my feet dry. Nice sunny day, pretty mild for the time of year at low levels. Got cloudy occasionally, but the cloud was high so visibility was excellent throughout.

Made it to the south top of Beinn a'Chaorainn, then headed north to the summit, where the cairn has a plaque and toy Royal Mail van in memory of the man who died on the mountain this time last year (Feb 2018). As the walk description warned, the route from the south top to the summit to the north top would be pretty treacherous in full winter conditions as huge cornices would make it look like the route could be done almost in straight lines rather than having to take a big arc between each. There was some cornicing still at the tops of these eastern corries, but the snow everywhere had melted, so it was easy to see the safe route to take on solid ground today.
APDC5061.JPG
BC summit

APDC5069.JPG
BC remaining eastern cornices

There's a lot of descent from the north top down to the glen / bealach between the 2 hills, and I though the ascent of Beinn Teallach, though a smaller mountain, was going to feel like a bit of a slog afterwards. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it though. I was half way up before I eventually came across the path which gave a good route through the rocky knolls on the N/NE ridge, and it was a nice walk to the summit. I went to both cairns before heading down the easy terrain of the southern slopes. Great views throughout the walk across to the Grey Corries, and the 4 munros (Easians etc) just over the road to the south of these 2, as well to the Creag Meaghaidh ones to the east of Beinn a'Chaorainn. In fact, views extended for miles in every direction, and the mountains everywhere looked clear of cloud. Pretty windy at the summit of Beinn Teallach by the time I was there though, so i didn't dawdle for long.
APDC5078.JPG
Looking S from BT summit

I crossed the stream a bit further north than the WH route as I found somewhere I could do it without getting wet feet and headed down the east side back to rejoin the path in.

Overall, a nice walk, just the right length for today given how tired I felt by evening. Only saw a couple of other people on Beinn a'Chaorainn at distance all day despite the great conditions and it being a sunday.

Munros #96 and 97.
Left car at 1030, BC summit 1232, BT summit 1419, back at the car at 1600. (5.5hrs)
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland