walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another Borders raid

Another Borders raid

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:23 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Green Hill, Hods Hill

Date walked: 23/02/2019

Time taken: 2.4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 485m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Yet another Borders raid on my way home from down south, this time I was visiting hills I almost walked over the last month. I had actually started walking Hods a few weeks ago and gave up after 10 minutes, far too windy and very cold. I am glad I did as it is a good wee hill offering great views of Daer Reservoir and umpteen wind turbines.

Hods Hill
Ascent: 285m
Distance: 7.5km
Time: 1hr 30mins

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Hods Hill route

Last time I parked near the dam but decided to park a bit further north, nearer to the main road very close to the cattle grid.

Parking spot

A few facts on Daer Reservoir

A wee bit boggy lower down

Wasn't tempted to climb up, even the padded seat wasn't enough

Looking back the seat in the previous photo is at the corner of the trees

You can't avoid them in the Borders

Low level shot of Daer Reservoir and the dam

Southern Upland Way symbol and it goes right over the summit of Hods Hill

Certainly didn't fancy climbing over the fence as the top 2 tiers are barbed wire

Plenty of these dotted along the ascent

Looking back downhill, nice gradual ascent

Video taken on the summit of Hods Hill

Summit of Hods Hill, otherwise known as a point where fences join

Video taken on the descent of the odd turbine or two, for a change they almost blend into the grey sky and haze

Slightly different descent route following the SUW down to the dam

Great view of Daer Reservoir

Getting closer to the reservoir and dam

A short video which is kind of mesmerising, watching the water flow over the side

Intruders are obviously not welcome

As the drive to Wanlockhead was only about 15mins or so I decided to keep my boots on, the roads around the Lowthers are great driving roads, undulating and bendy. I parked in the same spot that George and I used on our last visit a couple of weeks ago. Our excuse then was that the rain had just started and we had already 'bagged' 3 Marilyns.

Green Hill
Ascent: 200m
Distance: 3.5km
Time: 50mins

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Green Hill route, straight up and down

Looking down on the 'overflow' car park, but it doesn't say what for?

Looking back down on Wanlockhead

I had to stop for a photo as I had been trying to eat an apple whilst struggling for breath on the steep incline. I quickly came to the conclusion that huffing and puffing and eating an apple is very difficult and I wouldn't recommend it.

Looking across to the bigger hills - Lowthers

Still got a bit of ascending, the good thing is once the top of Black Hill is reached it is very easy after that

Wanlockhead from slightly higher up

Something burning over the hill

Track reached, followed it for 200m or so then straight up to the summit

Pole in a dod of concrete marks the summit

I knew this was the summit of Green Hill, however looking west to the gate and the fence the ground looked higher, so I wondered over and it is one of many optical illusions. According to my watch it is a couple of metres lower.

The higher spot to the west

Video taken on the summit of Green Hill

Video taken looking across to the Lowthers and down onto Wanlockhead

I parked overlooking what looks like the 'old' bowling green

The old clubhouse?

An enjoyable afternoon and it was great to get out again, Hods Hill in my opinion was the better of the 2 hills, Green Hill is literally a straight up and down if you tackle it from Wanlockhead.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Another Borders raid

Postby PeteR » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:33 pm

I was wracking my brain trying to remember Hods Hill, as I knew I'd been up it. Once I'd achieved that I recalled I enjoyed it more than some of the Donalds attacked from down that road :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby nigheandonn » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:56 pm

I quickly came to the conclusion that huffing and puffing and eating an apple is very difficult and I wouldn't recommend it.

I love this advice, and will try to bear it in mind! :-)

Looks like a nice wee trip - I'm surprised to see the SUW so well marked, I thought it would be more like the Pennine Way where you take a best guess and hope to meet another marker somewhere...
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby McMole » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:56 pm

I'd agree that Hods Hill is more interesting a walk than Green Hill, and you might just wish to return there. You visited the top named Hods Hill on the OS maps at 561m, while passing 150m from the unnamed 569m summit! :(
Hods Hill route s.gif
We were there in March last year and enjoyed a dry day, but with a really cold wind. We had read some reports beforehand that directed us to the unmarked summit. Without that we'd probably have done exactly the same as you and be looking forward to a return ascent. :wink:
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland