walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Challum

Ben Challum

Postby skyedave » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:36 pm

Date walked: 19/12/2010

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A very cold day out in Argyle -20 on the top.
Attachments
IMG_0763.JPG
My son David thinking about breaking into the emergency pork pie locker.
IMG_0764.JPG
I bet it would be a nice view on better day.
skyedave
Munro compleatist

Munros:65   

Re: Ben Challum

Postby rockhopper » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:58 pm

Oddly enough I was just up the road from you today at Bridge of Orchy (still to do my walk report). Think I may have been luckier as the weather didn't close in there until about 2pm - haven't a clue though what the temperature was on the summits though. I'm hoping to cover Ben Challum next - did you go from near Kirkton Farm and could you tell me where you parked please ?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mountain coward » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:30 am

I love Ben Challuim in snow - but -20! :o Was that windchill or just, pure -20?
mountain coward

Postby skyedave » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:54 am

We got dropped off on the main road at Kirton Farm, there is a parking area on the main road 50 M from the start at Kirton Farm.

I have put our route on straight up and down it was very cold to be hanging about. It was - 16 in real money but add the wind on, my sandwiches froze in the top of my bag.
Attachments

ben-challum2.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

skyedave
Munro compleatist

Munros:65   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland