walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar and the Loch Muick friends

Lochnagar and the Loch Muick friends

Postby yesper » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:59 pm

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 17/10/2018

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 30.7 km

Ascent: 1182m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Rain, Wind and Sun. No visibility the first 3 hours with periodic heavy rain and strong wind - after that, it became a brilliant walk with excellent visibility and even some sun. Five munros. Though, only four new on my bagging list as Broadcairn was bagged some years ago on a day with crazy wind forcing me to abandon the round - which I had started in clockwise direction. This time I took the round as described on WH and kept going even the first part was very wet. I did consider to retreat after Lochnager, but now I am quite happy that I did not.

On the way down from Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach the clouds elevated and visibility got perfect - the rest of the walk was a delight.

activity_3096803322_2636nodes.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

approaching_lochnagar_1001.jpg
Rainbow showing the way to the Lochnagar and rain

end_of_the_rainbow_1005.jpg
No visibility - think this is Eagles ridge

lochnagar_summit_1132.jpg
Wet Lochnagar summit

dizzy_loch_nan_eun_1228.jpg
Still rain, dropping by The Stuic with a hazy sight of Loch nan Eun

Carn_aChoire_Bhoidhaich_summit_1237.jpg
Second munro - a'Choire Bhoidhaich - so far the easiest of all Munros I have bagged (from another Munro)

Carn_an_t-Sagairt_Mor summit_1329.jpg
Third munro, Carn an t-Sagairt Mór - now the weather is clearing - becoming a brilliant day

Cairn_Bannoch summit_1411.jpg
Fourth Munro - Cairn Bannoch - grand views all directions

Broadcairn_Summit_1457.jpg
Last munro of the day - a re-visit on Broadcairn

Loch_Muick_Western_end_1_1558.jpg
Sightseeing above Loch Muick - Cac Carn Mor and Cuidhe Crom dominating the skyline to the left

Loch_Muick_western_End_1605.jpg
Loch Muick western end - sight towards Dubh Loch - Broadcairn to the left

Time registered:
0:00 Lock Muick car park
2:30 Lochnager (15 pause)
3:30 Carn a'Choire Bhoidheach
4:10 Carn an t-Sagairt Mor (5 min)
5:00 Cairn Bannoch (20 min pause)
5:50 Broadcairn
8:00 Loch Muick car park
yesper
Mountaineer

Munros:70   Corbetts:1
Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland