walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Unfinished business - Meall a' Ghiubhais

Unfinished business - Meall a' Ghiubhais

Postby malky_c » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:07 pm

Route description: Meall a' Ghiubhais, Loch Maree

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a' Ghiubhais

Date walked: 18/12/2010

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 930m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Meall a' Ghiubhais
Date walked: 18/12/2010
Time taken: 5 hours 35 minutes
Distance: 9 km
Ascent: 930 m
Weather: Snow to sea level, mixture of sunshine, cloud and bitterly cold wind.

With the weather shaping up to be not too bad, I had plans to do the Quinag this weekend. What could be better? An impressive but fairly straightforward trio of hills with stunning coastal scenery and not too much ascent, plus some snow and sunshine to boot. Seemed like a great idea, so I contacted HighlandSC to see if he fancied coming along.

As with all plans, as soon as they start to shape up, spanners are inserted into works. So it was yesterday, with the best weather constantly switching between Saturday and Sunday, and the car suddenly not being available first thing. Also, there was a suggestion that the real sunshine and blue skies would be found to the south of Ullapool, so it seemed like a good reason to re-think. I had a barrage of other ideas, and we settled on Meall a' Ghiubhais. Although this has been ticked off in my Corbett log for quite some time now, I became aware that I hadn't actually visited the proper summit. On the previous visit in 2001, my dad and I arrived at the marginally lower NE summit in the clag, and hurried back down without checking the map :oops: . I had also missed it off an ascent of Ruadh Stac Beag earlier in the year for some reason (daft, as I had a perfect day with loads of daylight to spare). With the weather looking good in this area, it seemed like a great chance to get to the proper summit and enjoy some views down Loch Maree and over to Torridon.

I picked HighlandSC up at 8.30 and we got on our way. The trunk roads were well cleared, with the journey to Garve being just as fast as it normally is. However, once onto the Achnasheen road, things slowed a bit as there was a full covering of snow on the surface all the way to Kinlochewe. Regardless, we were able to make steady progress, and were ready to start walking at 10. The Kinlochewe Mountain Trail carpark concerned me a bit though - there was a short slope down to it and the snow wasn't far off the underside of the car when I stopped! I'd put a shovel in the boot and decided to worry about it when we got back.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Looking across Loch Maree to Beinn a Mhuinnidh, another of today's possibe destinations:

...and over to Slioch:

These conditions could cause problems later:

We opted for the most common route onto the hill - via the Kinlochewe Mountain Trail. I had used this on my last visit as well, although it had been summer then, so much easier to see the route. With the snow right down at sea level, the section of the route where steps have been cut into the rockface was somewhat awkward, with the steps being almost invisible and the rocky slabs either side very slippy under the unconsolidated snow.

Beinn a Mhuinnidh again, a short way up the Mountain Trail:

...and Slioch again:

Another guy caught us up on the steepest section and powered past after a quick greeting. Following his footsteps wasn't a whole load easier than breaking trail, and we soon lost sight of him. Views were beginning to open up to the west, but it was also obvious that cloudier conditions were moving in from the west.

Looking NW to the trio of Beinn Araigh Charr, Meall Mhennidh and Beinn Lair:

Today's destination from near the viewpoint cairn:

Reaching the high point of the trail took us the best part of two hours - much more awkward than in none snowy conditions. Even a bit of consolidation would have helped matters. Typically, the aforementioned cloud moved in just as we reached the summit, bringing a light breeze with it and whipping up lots of soggy spindrift. Amazing how rapidly a day can change! Rather than stop for lunch, we pressed on towards the hill, the path being practically impossible to spot at this point. Soon after starting the next ascent, we passed the guy we had met earlier coming down. He had decided to quit due to the change in weather, as he had really wanted the views. We briefly thought about giving up as well, as the views were certainly the main motivation for doing this hill, more than anything overly exciting about the route.

We decided to plod on for a bit though, as we still had plenty of daylight left, and there was some potential for the weather to change again. It certainly didn't change then, and we were left with an energy sapping ascending traverse of the SE slope of the hill, with ankle to shin deep powder. A bit annoying, as my walk on Meall Dubh a couple of weeks back had given me more than enough of these conditions! To spice things up, there was the occasional patch of icy snow underneath the new stuff, but never enough to be worth getting out the crampons.

HighlandSC battles through some more spindrift and deep snow:

Not far from the summit, but will it stay clear?

HighlandSC was rather feeling the burn in his legs with all the extra snow, so at about 840m, he decided to fall back a bit while I legged it up to the (correct) summit. As it happened, I was only away from him for under 10 minutes. Was it worth it though? The cloud refused to shift and the wind was really howling around the cairn, so not really. I got the hell out of there as fast as possible!

By the time I reached HighlandSC, he was only 5 minutes or so from the top, and there was the occasional swirl of blue sky. He debated carrying on (I would have quite happily gone back up if it had cleared), but ultimately decided that he'd had enough. As we retreated (at about 4 x the speed we had got up there!) things did clear a bit (as they always do...), but we weren't too bothered. It was just nice not to be forging a path upward through fresh snow any more. There were a few decent photo opportunities on the descent back to the trail, with A' Mhaigdhean looking particualry inviting.

Across Beinn a Mhuinnidh to some of the Fannaichs (getting more sunshine than us :? ):

Changing camera batteries on the descent:

Rocky NE face of Meall a Ghiubhais:

Those sunny Fannaichs again:

Beinn Lair, A' Mhaigdhean and Slioch:

The trail took a bit of finding, and was similarly slithery to the ascent, but the NW leg was a little easier going as it was less rocky. The hills to the NE of Loch Maree continued to provide good scenery, as did the gorge next to the path. We arrived back at the car just before 3.30.

Moon over Beinn a Mhuinnidh:

NW along Loch Maree:

Last shot of Beinn Mhuinnidh:

The weather didn't quite meet my expectations,but there were still some good piecemeal views, and the exercise was good. I was due at my staff christmas party later on in the evening, so it was good to work up an appetite :lol: (incidentally, last year's pre-christmas party appetizer was a cracker).

All that remained now was to extract the car from the carpark. I had visions of lots of shovelling and pushing, but in the event, I got a decent run-up at the exit slope and just about made it back onto the main road. The only incident of note on the way home was a tractor and trailer which managed to get itself stuck at a 45 degree angle in a ditch at Corriemoillie. However, before we had a chance to offer any assistance (not sure what we were going to do with a single garden spade, but anyway...), it had wheelspun its way back out.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Unfinished business - Meall a' Ghiubhais

Postby kevsbald » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:23 pm

Man, I am feeling the cold here, just reading that. Good effort and enjoy the denner.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby IainG » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Excellent!

I would imagine the mountain trail itself would be quite tricky near the top. I done it in summer and I remember some steep slabby sections which would have been pretty slippy.

It is a cracking walk on it's own.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:54 pm

Good report Malky. It was a good day out :D My legs had no more ascent in them near the top- the price you pay for not getting out much in the last 6 months- gotta laugh at my GPS track (below) - can't get much closer to a summit without being there!:

20101218 meall a ghiuthais, torridon.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I'll be back for that top soon!

A short vid not long after we started descending:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D33XMmzjUrA[/youtube]

I'll not do a report- I'll just add a few pics to this.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:43 pm

Slioch

Malky looking toward summit (far left)

Malky going up to summit

and coming back

Descent

Slioch

NW over Loch Maree

Lone pine and Slioch

Gorge
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby dooterbang » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:59 pm

Epic energy sapping day guys, its tough going in them conditions. . . .but strangely enjoyable :D

Shame HSC ran out of steam being so close to the summit, maybe he should buy a step master :lol:

Well done Malky nailing it on your 3rd attempt.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby malky_c » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Cheers - not a bad day out despite the summit/view disappointments. Glad you put those photos up - there's definitely a strange bluey tinge to mine which makes everything look about 20 degrees colder! Video gives a good idea of the conditions. Hopefully more luck next time!
malky_c

Postby rockhopper » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:03 pm

Great stuff both of you. Walking through snow that deep is a killer - there's a lot less down here in the Glasgow to Glencoe area.

HighlandSC wrote:tta laugh at my GPS track (below) - can't get much closer to a summit without being there!:
You're dead right - maybe you'll get better conditions the next time :lol:
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mountain coward » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:29 am

That looks a much easier climb than I envisaged as it doesn't look as steep as I imagined. I'm sure it's better in snow - isn't it loose scree without? I know it makes it hard work though... Are you saying the more northerly of the two tracks you took was less rocky and easier? From the map it looks more rocky!

Thanks for that anyway as I'm planning to do that sometime soon (although probably at least spring). I remember reading your other report where you did Ruadh Stac Beag and then turned back without Ghuibhais. Mhuinnidh looks nice too - didn't realise that had any 'status' - must give that a go too - always thought it looked a nice hill...
mountain coward

Postby mountainstar » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:09 am

I take it that it was you (Malky) in the video....no shorts! so you are a mere mortal after all!
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby malky_c » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:13 pm

mountain coward wrote:That looks a much easier climb than I envisaged as it doesn't look as steep as I imagined. I'm sure it's better in snow - isn't it loose scree without? I know it makes it hard work though... Are you saying the more northerly of the two tracks you took was less rocky and easier? From the map it looks more rocky!

Don't think there's that much loose scree - it's much grassier than Ruadh Stac Beag, that's for sure. Click on the hill name and have a look at Kev's report from the summer. Pretty sure there's a photo of this flank in there. Certainly some decent firm snow would make it better, but the powder we ploughed through was quite hard going (knackering rather than tricky).

More northerly track is definitely easier as it is less rocky. HSC commented that it looked steeper on the map, but it must zigzag more or something. Not that much in it in non-snowy conditions though.

mountainstar wrote:I take it that it was you (Malky) in the video....no shorts! so you are a mere mortal after all!

I may be stupid but I know when I'm beaten :lol:
malky_c

Postby mountain coward » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:56 pm

Ah okay thanks - but I'll probably do Ghuibhas and Ruadh Stac Mhor together and I think your other report said RSM had plentyo scree on the route...
mountain coward

Postby kinley » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:05 pm

That walk from the car park is a stoater - I find it difficult to believe that they sneaked it past Health and Safety :lol:

Can sympathise with the snow slog - done a few this month. Mine were at least in the sunshine though :)

HighlandSC wrote:Good report Malky. It was a good day out :D My legs had no more ascent in them near the top- the price you pay for not getting out much in the last 6 months- gotta laugh at my GPS track (below) - can't get much closer to a summit without being there!

I like to think I'm well-balanced and a non-obsessive hill-walker but you keep making me feel unsure. I think I would have lassooed Malky and got him to drag me the last 30m :lol:
kinley

Postby kinley » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:51 pm

Oh - and happy 30th Birthday Malky! :D

Disgustingly precocious youngster that you are :lol: ;)
kinley

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland