walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Leitir Fionnlaigh above Loch Lochy

Leitir Fionnlaigh above Loch Lochy

Postby clem_f » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:01 pm

Date walked: 02/03/2019

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 730m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Rode and walked up Leitir Fionnlaigh from South Laggan yesterday. The hill is one you see across Loch Lochy when ascending the bealach between the Loch Lochy munros. Not exactly spectacular, but still a nice enough walk, and one that affords nice views across Loch Lochy. The quickest way walking up this hill would probably be to park near Letterfinlay and head straight up the side of the hill, but I thought I'd go up the first 300m on the bike through the forest in South Laggan, and then go up from there. There's no path once you leave the forest road, but a quad bike track appears at times on the hill. The forest track starts at a post box at a right turning off the A82 about one mile mile north of Laggan Locks. The track basically zig zags up through the forest until coming to a hairpin turn at about 300m high in a clearing. From there I headed up the side of the hill Leacann Doire Bainneir. There is forest marked on the OS map here, but it has been cleared and the way was quite easy. From there had to climb one deer fence, and then walked up to the summit of Leacann Doire Bainneir where there is a small cairn.

There is a bit of descent off this until heading 100m up to the summit of Leitir Fionnlaigh - probably about 2 miles between the summits. There is a trig point about 800m on from the summit. From there I headed down a bit off the summit, and then contoured roughly on the 550m line back to the place I had left the bike on the forest track and coasted back to the road. There are a few large landslips that you have to make sure to go above, but they are certainly very obvious. All in all a nice hill, a bit wet on the ridge as expected , but not too bad.

letterfinlay.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Looking back towards the forest track
20190302_100252.jpg

Summit of Leacann Doire Bainneir
20190302_104342.jpg

Leitir Fionnlaigh
20190302_111331.jpg

Trig point and munros
20190302_120403.jpg

Across Loch Lochy
20190302_120623.jpg

Looking North to Laggan Locks and the Caledonian Canal
20190302_122558.jpg
clem_f
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland