walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Roy - parallel roads in the rain.

Glen Roy - parallel roads in the rain.

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:38 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Iaruinn, Càrn Dearg (North of Gleann Eachach), Càrn Dearg (South of Gleann Eachach), Meall a' Phùbuill

Fionas included on this walk: Aodann Chleireig, Leana Mhór (Glen Roy West), Meall Onfhaidh

Date walked: 03/03/2019

Time taken: 19.5 hours

Distance: 55.7 km

Ascent: 3769m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Who decides the weather? I mean - you get three gorgeous days on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday that are of no use to us for hill pursuits, and yet again, by the time it comes to the weekend we are treated to wind and rain. How often does it happen that way? Tain't fair. :(

I had planned a nice trip to Ardgour this weekend, to enjoy the might of Garbh Bheinn and some of the rough stuff near Strontian. As the weekend drew nearer the forecast suggested this might not be the best of ideas - at least not to enjoy the best of the hills. So once again back to the drawing board on Thursday morning and a trip up past Fort William was planned instead. I thought we'd do Meall a'Phubuill from Fassfern coupled with its nearby Graham, Meall Onfhaidh, with some Carn Dearg action in Glen Roy after that. I remembered a nice little parking space in Fassfern that looked ideal for a quick tent pitch Thursday night til first thing Friday - then we could head to our favourite site at Bunroy, which seemed to be opening this weekend according to the website for Friday and Saturday nights. We had a fairly good run up the road and arrived at Fassfern to find prominent "No Overnight Parking" and "No Camping" signs that I didn't remember seeing before. Damn. About turn and head back a couple of miles to Loch Linnhe campsite, which at least meant a hot shower in the morning.

phubuillx.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Then we drove back to Fassfern. Allison commenting that if they don't want people to camp in the parking places they shouldn't make them so attractive to camp in. She has a point. Anyway, we parked there and set off along the forest track for Meall a'Phubuill. We did this last time along with Beinn Bhan, so this was a new approach - although we did Onfhaidh from here, so not really new at all. I'd forgotten about the bothy at Gleann Suileag - that cold have been another option for us last night. Looked very pretty as we passed nearby. We continued on the track that runs with the Allt Fionn Doire as far as the footbridge, then began our 400m slog up the heathery flanks of Meall a'Phubuill. Misty as we neared the top, but not a bad day as things go. We came down a bit more steeply, making for the mid-point of the bealach with Meall Onfhaidh then it's another 300m straight up. It was only about 12.30 when we reached the summit (ah the benefits of starting off early) so I suggested we continue to the second Graham of Aodann Chleireig. For some reason I didn't have our previous route on my GPS and Allison had left the map in the car, but it seemed straightforward enough using the map on the GPS. And indeed it was.

Towards Phubuill
ImageP3010383 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3010384 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3010385 by Al, on Flickr

Disconcertingly similar experience - towards Onfhaidh
ImageP3010386 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3010387 by Al, on Flickr

Another drop of 300m then ascent of 300m - good for the fitness level :wink: The top was reached and we decided we'd take a different route down than the one we'd used last time, which had involved a tempestuous river crossing, a washed away walking pole and a cross Allison. Yeah, this time we'd return thru the forest track and use a bridge :lol: This proved easy as pie, apart from a bit of struggle crossing cleared forestry, but it felt good to be back on the good track for the few kilometres back to the car. Not a lot to see today due to the clag, but a good day out and as a bonus, an unexpected extra Graham which took me to my 50.

Aodann Chleireig
ImageP3010388 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3010390 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3010391 by Al, on Flickr

Onfhaidh in backdrop
ImageP3010392 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3010393 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3010395 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3010397 by Al, on Flickr

We drove along to Bunroy campsite, which I was sure I'd seen somewhere online as opening this weekend. Cones were across the road to the tent pitches....oops. We spotted the owners coming towards us, clearly just doing some maintenance work on the site. No, they were not open - and had no water or toilets - but we could stay gratis if we didn't mind that, as their license had already started and because they knew us..... They're such a nice and friendly family that run the site. Not having to be asked twice, we drove down and pitched beside the river. No other tents. No other people - my ideal campsite situation :D We got the meal sorted and settled down to a night of wind and rain. And my throat started giving me gyp.

ImageP3020398 by Al, on Flickr

carndsim5.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Saturday was going to be the big day - I had routed us around the two northernmost Carn Deargs in Glen Roy, along with a variable number of Simms - ranging from 5 to 9 depending on how things went. Allison was thrilled, of course. The forecast had not been good, with winds, rain and snow all day, so it was somewhat surprising to be walking into blue sky after the tortuous drive up the Glen. Not that it was to last, sadly. Allison was a bit fatigued after yesterday's ascent, so I decided not to include the first 2 Simms, lying to the west side of Glen Turret. We'd go up Teanga Beag and make for Beinn Bhan then work our way around the two Carn Deargs. At least that was the plan. Problems began when we crossed the river at the head of Glen Turret - I chose a different place to cross from Allison and we lost sight of each other. By the time we had spotted each other again, she was following a track up the east shoulder of Meall a'Chomhlain and I was going up Teanga Beag. Too far apart to be able to hear each other, I shouted (uselessly) "I'll get you at the top" and we each continued on our respective ways. As I continued to climb I looked at my GPS map and realised that we were not going to meet at "the top" as all we were going to do was get further apart. Hell. I could see her following the ATV track upwards, and decided to contour along the southern slopes of Teanga Beag so that I would meet her at the top of the deep ravine that divided the two hills.

ImageP3020400 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3020401 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3020402 by Al, on Flickr

If you look very closely you will see the speck that is Allison halfway up the wrong hill...
ImageP3020403 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3020404 by Al, on Flickr

Unfortunately, when we did meet up it was still quite far from the summit of either of the western Simms and I reckoned it would be best if we just continued on to Beinn Bhan as originally planned. This was to be the beginning of several navigational errors (all mine) of the day... Beinn Bhan was duly reached, some glimpses of the Loch Lochy Munros and northwards, Loch Ness. We continued on to Carn na Larach then had quite a drop and climb up to the first Carn Dearg. The weather had deteriorated - wind was high and we could watch the dark sky and rain coming in from the south west. Glas Charn was next - we were pushed uphill by the wind then almost blown over at the summit. Rain was joined by snow and hail and we wished we'd put goggles on before now, as it was simply too windy to fish around for them at present. We contoured around the NE of Carn Dearg which afforded a little weather protection. I decided not to pursue the Simm of Leac nan Uan, at a saving of 3.5km, reckoning that if we did go for it we'd end up missing out the two Simms after Carn Dearg #2.

Loch Lochy Munros
ImageP3020405 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Bhan to Carn Dearg #1
ImageP3020406 by Al, on Flickr

Towards Loch Ness
ImageP3020408 by Al, on Flickr

Carn Dearg #1 and Glas Charn
ImageP3020409 by Al, on Flickr

A change in the weather
ImageP3020411 by Al, on Flickr

Carn Dearg #1
ImageP3020413 by Al, on Flickr

Glas Charn
ImageP3020414 by Al, on Flickr

Carn Dearg #1 from Glas Charn
ImageP3020416 by Al, on Flickr

We got to the top of Meallan Odhar, despite the wind still trying to get us airbourne. Carn Dearg #2 beckoned. It was time for the down and up, again. From the top of Carn Dearg #2 the weather was properly miserable, rain streaming down and the wind making it even more unpleasant. Once again I managed to mis-navigate in the mist and have us heading SW towards a wee bump (easily mistaken for a Simm when you want to go home :lol: ) instead of SE towards two definately larger items. It is soggy, boggy and generally -oggy. I sense Allison isn't enjoying this any more. The first summit is reached, Carn Dearg Beag then it's over to the last hill of the day, Glas Bheinn. It seems to take an eternity to get there and get over to the start of the shoulder I want to descend from. Not helped by my seeming to head too much to the south - each time I make a course correction I seem to continue heading the wrong way. Allison looks like she's given up the will to live "where are you taking me now?" she pleads. Eventually we do make it onto the right line and the descent is straightforward after that. It's good to get back onto track, even if we still have 3km to go in the pouring rain. We are passed by a couple of bearded guys on bikes, presumably going to the bothy at Luib Chonnal. We see there's new snow on the Grey Corries as we drive back.

Carn Dearg #2
ImageP3020417 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3020418 by Al, on Flickr

The last Simm
ImageP3020420 by Al, on Flickr

Wet walk back
ImageP3020422 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3020423 by Al, on Flickr

New snow on the Grey Corries
ImageP3020424 by Al, on Flickr

Back at the car we're pretty much soaked - and yes, it would have been nice to be able to have a hot shower at the campsite. Instead it's sleep in your wet clothes (knowing they will be wet again in the morning as the forecast for Sunday is no better). Outside it rains heavily all night and I worry a little about the level of the river beside us. And the wind - howling through the trees and shaking the tent, even in our relatively sheltered spot. My throat is still sore and is joined by blocked nose - a cold - damn!

We pack the very wet, very heavy tent away in the morning and set off for a short day - Beinn Iaruinn along with Leana Mhor, by the standard WH route. I notice that there's a Marilyn, Beinn a'Mhonicag, accessed from the car park/beauty spot and think that we could add it on if the weather improves. The drive is along a flooded Glen - river crossings will not be easy today. We park by a farm building, not trusting the muddy layby we used last time. There's a wee burn to jump across right away, then it's another long pull up a grassy hillside - getting quite used to those now :roll: Leana Mhor is attained and we set off for Beinn Iaruinn. Wind is very strong at the bealach and pursues us uphill, clag preventing much of a view. We can see down into Glen Gloy, somewhere we've not yet visited. We hunker down behind the summit cairn for lunch as the snow starts, large wet flakes mixed in with the rain. Don't be starting all that "winter" nonsense again, I tell the weather - it's spring now and we'll have no more white stuff to interfere with plans.

Leana Mhor
ImageP3030425 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3030426 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3030427 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Iaruinn
ImageP3030428 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3030430 by Al, on Flickr

The quick way down :shock:
ImageP3030432 by Al, on Flickr

Parallel roads
ImageP3030433 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP3030434 by Al, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Glen Roy - parallel roads in the rain.

Postby Graeme D » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:16 pm

Are you following me!!!??? :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:20 pm

Graeme D wrote:Are you following me!!!??? :shock:

Only very randomly :wink:
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Graeme D » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:41 pm

weaselmaster wrote:
Graeme D wrote:Are you following me!!!??? :shock:

Only very randomly :wink:

Oh well, that's OK then! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland