walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Dearg via Agag's Groove and Crowberry Tower

Stob Dearg via Agag's Groove and Crowberry Tower

by dav2930 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 27/02/2019

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 6.1 km

Ascent: 788m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Stob Dearg via Agag's Groove and Crowberry Tower

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:01 pm

jmarkb wrote:Nice report! :thumbup:

I went through a phase of climbing wet gullies and chimneys in my youth (mostly in the Lakes). I was cured of this affliction by an attempt on Clachaig Gully: we got past the main pitches but were tired, cold and scared and made a very sketchy escape out to the right. I would not go anywhere near The Chasm these days!

There's no comparison between the two. I didn't find any loose rock on the Chasm and there are several superb pitches Jericho Wall speaks for itself I think :lol: :lol: :lol:
Apart from Moss Ghyll I think most of my (also youthful) gullies were in Wales: Llywedd, Craig - yr ysfa, Cyrn Las I remember :)
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Stob Dearg via Agag's Groove and Crowberry Tower

Postby dav2930 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:03 pm

prog99 wrote:
That loose hold on pitch 3 was about the only loose hold I can remember on the entire climb - just sod's law that it was right at the crux!

I think its been loose for ages! Time will tell how long it's got.

Hopefully no one will be holding on to it when it finally does go! :shock:

past my sell by date wrote:When I first wanted to try the Chasm I had thoughts of Moss Ghyll - Collies Step etc. big boots chockstones you clamber over but It's not like that at all. I guess it's 50 ft wide at the bottom - and as I said there's one chockstone the size of a caravan. Dry weather I agree would be best - and rockboots - though if you remember Lockwoods Chimney was always recommended for an overweight party - in the rain :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes I remember the tradition for Lockwood's. The first climbing club I joined used to make a point of doing it every Christmas dinner meet (which was always in N. Wales) - or at least that was what they told themselves - I don't remember ever getting the chance to do it! :(

jmarkb wrote:Nice report! :thumbup:

It's probably just me, but I always seem to find Glencoe routes hard for the grade (e.g. compared to Glen Nevis). I think it's the rather flat holds and sometimes spaced gear that makes them feel just a bit insecure.

I went through a phase of climbing wet gullies and chimneys in my youth (mostly in the Lakes). I was cured of this affliction by an attempt on Clachaig Gully: we got past the main pitches but were tired, cold and scared and made a very sketchy escape out to the right. I would not go anywhere near The Chasm these days!

Thanks jmarkb :)
Some of the routes on Rannoch Wall - Grooved Arete, for example - are a bit run-out in places, that's for sure. Also 1st pitch of The Long Crack on the east face of Aonach Dubh, I seem to remember. The guidebook describes the last pitch of Agag's as being 'quite bold' too, though I think this would only feel bold to a leader for whom VDiff is his maximum grade. But then I guess it depends also on what sort of climbing one is used to. Lakes climbers will feel relatively at home in Glencoe as it's the same rock-type (rhyolite). Whereas Glasgow climbers who are familiar with the Cobbler will probably feel more at home on the mica schist of the Polldubh crags. Glen Nevis is such a friendly place to climb, though - some fine routes there.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland