walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Kips and Scald Law

The Kips and Scald Law

Postby McMole » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:45 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Scald Law

Date walked: 11/03/2019

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 11.9 km

Ascent: 560m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Monday had the best forecast of the whole week and the sun was shining, so off I went to to walk over a Pentland or three before the promised showers arrived later in the day. It had been a year or two since I'd been over the Kips from Threipmuir so I decided to take that route and view the destruction reported on in the WH forum in General discussion, 'Pentland destruction' -
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?Z=1&t=84689&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Kips Scald Law route s.gif
I arrived in the Threipmuir car park at about 10am and was soon on my slippery way along the road towards Bavelaw Castle, after overnight frost had left icy patches on the road. As I climbed the hill and took the right turn to follow the Red Road a chill wind blew. I did wonder if lulled by the previous months of warm weather I'd not worn enough layers. I found that a brisk pace kept me warm enough and the wind discouraged me from stopping.
P1030369.JPG
West Kip from the 'restored' Red Road after forestry operations churned it up
As the path turned to head for West Kip the destruction was mostly hidden by a covering of snow though it was still very obvious. A strip right beside the fence had not been churned up and had been well used by other walkers - and me. As I neared West Kip I saw one lass sliding down its slopes several times on a small plastic 'tray'. I almost had to kick steps in the snow on the way up and found it easier to choose areas of snow-clad vegetation when heading downhill. Soft snow on top of muddy paths made for uncertain footing.
P1030370.JPG
The col between East Kip and Scald Law
Between East Kip and Scald Law there was another bulldozed morass then a well-trodden and, at times, icy path up to the Scald Law trig point.
P1030371.JPG
Looking SW from Scald Law with West Kip on the right
P1030372.JPG
Carnethy Hill from Scald law
Downhill from there was easy through snow-covered heather and the route down to The Howe was mostly snow-free. From there other surprises were a bridge and then some stepping stones as I started through Green Cleugh, then new deer fencing to both sides after passing Black Hill.
P1030376.JPG
New stepping stones and bridge in Green Cleugh
P1030378 s.JPG
Deer fencing in Green Cleugh
Most of the enclosed area has been extensively planted with saplings by the landowner.
P1030379.JPG
Recent planting within the fenced area
P1030381b s.JPG
The explanation
The route has been recently improved with former boggy sections now overlaid by a good path. As I approached Bavelaw Castle I felt a few drops of rain and turning round saw a low cloud sweeping over the hills behind me. I counted myself lucky to have missed the shower as I walked back the last now ice-free kilometre in the sun. It had been a busy day for a weekday with the car park half full. I must have met about thirty walkers, cyclists and dog walkers on my circuit. I chatted to several who had decided, as I had, that the day was just too good to miss and the rest of the week was not going to be good hill-walking weather.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland