walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Ban Grey Corries in unseasonably warm February

Stob Ban Grey Corries in unseasonably warm February

Postby kleighton » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:23 pm

Route description: Stob Ban (Grey Corries)

Munros included on this walk: Stob Bàn (Grey Corries)

Date walked: 26/02/2019

Time taken: 7.25 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 852m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather suddenly warmed up in early February so after retreating to sub 2000s, Grahams and Corbetts over the winter I was delighted to be able to climb my first munro of 2019. Stob Ban in the Grey Corries had been on my to do list for sometime and it seemed like a straightforward outing for this time of year.
After negotiating the rough track from Corriechoille in my small car without mishap, I parked near the fence to the forestry in a small carpark. The weather was clear and sunny and there was little wind. I was off walking by 7.30am.
The Wee Minister was standing fairly near the start. I didn't stop to admire him till my return. The track climbed up through the trees until I reached the gate to the open moorland then along and down to the Alt Leachdach bridge. As I continued along the track to the Lairig Leacach bothy, I admired the views of the two Corbetts on my left and wondered when I would be back to climb them. However my priority, if the weather remains good, would be to finish the Grey Corries munros on a longer day.
Once past the bothy it was easy to ford the Allt a'Chuil Choirean and find the path to Stob Ban. The cairn is up the track beyond where you catch sight of the dilapidated bridge. At first things became rather boggy then steep then a gentler ascent till the final steeper path. The path was clear all the way to the summit. I met a pair of walkers on the early part of the path and stopped to let them past. I think they headed off to climb all the peaks because I did not see them again later. The summit was in cloud so no views but a wonderful feeling of being out in the wild. The cloud cleared later and I had a great view back to where I had come from as I returned along the track.
I returned the same way and made good time, stopping for photos on the way back.
A perfect day. Let's hope there are plenty more this year.
kleighton
Munro compleatist

Munros:224   Corbetts:27
Fionas:52   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:36   Hewitts:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland