walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dalwhinnie, Meall Chuaich

Dalwhinnie, Meall Chuaich

Postby Ken Sinclair » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Chuaich

Date walked: 13/03/2019

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 610m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Linda on Summit of Meall Chuaich.JPG
A welcome return to winter conditions after unprecedented temperatures of recent weeks.
The pack felt a little heavier this time out with extra clothing, crampons and ice axe, but not for long. You soon forget about the extra pounds on your back as you head enthusiastically into the wilderness.

Linda, my walking companion for the day, had been meticulously monitoring weather conditions and sending me avalanche reports on the few days leading up to our walk. On Friday night we decided we were good to go.

Parking the car up on the A9 on Saturday morning we donned full battle dress as we were greeted by a blustery wind with fresh snow and hail. Fortunately, by the time we reached the aqueduct it had cleared up and on reaching the locked bothy we were able to remove our body armour in preparation for our ascent.

Meall Chuaich looked beautiful in its fresh winter coat.

On the ascent we were treated to views of Ben Alder and its neighbouring snowy peaks.
At 700 metres we rested a little, I was keen to try out my newly purchased 2 person ‘bothy-bag’. The weather was still fine at this point although quite windy, but new gear of any sort needs to be shown off.

Once we got going again, we observed darker weather quickly approaching from the Southwest. About 10 minutes before reaching the summit we were in whiteout conditions and our bearing was put to the test to locate that huge summit cairn, which we found without any difficulties. The emergency shelter got a real test this time and it enabled us to sit on the summit for 30 minutes until the weather abated. Our patience was gratefully rewarded by a spectacular vista of snowy peaks.

In the shelter we had taken the decision to extend the day by heading off in a Northerly direction, on a bearing of 12 degrees. The wind picked up again for a time exposing us to spindrift. We followed this for 1.5k, picking up a line of fence posts on the descent before contouring West, onto heathery slopes and picking up track at the North end of Loch Cuaich. Beware if you are on the hill with a dog as this did involve climbing over a 6’ deer fence. The loch track ran along the full length of the loch back towards the aqueduct. A perfect day. Thanks to Linda for your careful attention to the winter conditions, and your much treasured company, a real delight to be on the hill with.
Ken Sinclair
Walker

Re: Dalwhinnie, Meall Chuaich

Postby Graeme D » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:50 pm

Interesting summit pose! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Dalwhinnie, Meall Chuaich

Postby Ken Sinclair » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Ha ha, thanks for taking the time to read this :lol: . My first attempt at posting a story, not sure what I did wrong with the Pic. Hopefully get it right next time. Regards, Ken Sinclair
Ken Sinclair
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland