walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blackford Hill traverse

Blackford Hill traverse

Postby U059361 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Route description: Hermitage of Braid and Blackford Hill

Date walked: 18/03/2019

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 250m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I got the no.11 bus from bottom of Lothian Road to Morningside Primary School, from there walked to the park and stayed on the north bank of the burn. A bit muddy but not too bad. Pleasant day, so making the most of it. Walked to the doocot and bounded up the steps to get my pulse moving and stretch my legs. Stayed up top past the hermitage, but took a path down to it to have a look. Crossed over the bridge and continued down to the crossroads and the signpost pointing to Blackford Hill and Pond. Up the steps (some are being repaired and cordoned off) and then went right to go up to Blackford Hill. Through the gorse and up the hilltop at Corbies Crag. Good view over Observatory to Arthur's Seat. On over to the trig point at top of Blackford Hill. After a look around walked down the slope and turned off left down a steep path to get to the pond. I went along the pond and then walked back along the track till I saw the wooden steps up to Blackford Hill. Couldn't resist the desire to belt up these steps too, but harder to keep going on these ones though, a lot more of a climb. back over and down towards the burn this time. Once back on Blackford Glen Road it is a rather featureless walk out to the first bus stop to get either a No. 31 or 37 back into town again.
Attachments
IMG_4350.JPG
The Pond
IMG_4347.JPG
Panorama of Edinburgh from Blackford Hill
IMG_4345.JPG
Braid Burn Glen from Corbies Crag
IMG_4340.JPG
Doocot and urban garden

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland