walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Slacking on Vrackie

Slacking on Vrackie

Postby malky_c » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:48 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 17/03/2019

Time taken: 6.25 hours

Distance: 21.5 km

Ascent: 950m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Ben Vrackie.
Date: 17/03/2019.
Distance: 21.5 km.
Ascent: 950m.
Time taken: 6 hours, 15 minutes.
Weather: Sunny, breezy high up, some showers.

Saturday was largely spent nursing a hangover from a works night out, but it didn't matter too much as the weather was pretty uninspiring. For Sunday, Jackie and I had discussed meeting somewhere halfway for a day out, as the weather looked much better then. Pitlochry seemed to be a handy meeting point as one of us could get the train then. In the end, we decided to both get the train and do a walk that started from the station - cue a much more relaxed trip than it could have been!

No need for an early start, and Jackie's train arrived within a minute of mine - handy! We weren't really in a rush, so we headed for a cup of tea and an early lunch before starting out, finally getting going at about 12:30. I had a vague plan of Ben Vrackie, but via the longer Killiecrankie approach. Jackie was good with this, although wasn't sure if she would be up for the summit, that muscle injury still lingering. But even without the summit, the Bealach walk is a good circuit in its own right, so no need to decide until later exactly what we were going to do.

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Back down past the station and under the railway had us on the shores of Loch Faskally on a good path.

Loch Faskally

Loch Faskally

Hills to the north of Loch Faskally

Just before passing under the A9, we discovered a map of waymarked trails - it appeared that we would be doing the Bealach route (as marked by blue posts) with a short diversion to the summit of Ben Vrackie if we fancied it. Waymarked routes - whatever happened to us? :lol:

Despite the waymarkers, we briefly went the wrong way and had to retrace our steps to get under the A9!

Like the naughty step, but for people who are more stupid

Near Faskally House

Then it was an easy stroll along the rest of the reservoir and banks of the River Garry, as a short shower hit us. Further up, we could hear music coming from the Garry Bridge above. There was a bungee jumping session from the cage below the bridge - always wondered what this was for!

River Garry

Bungee jump off the Garry Bridge

The rest of the gorge is nice too, but before long we were climbing up to the old A9 and taking a bridge under the new one. Then a walk up past the water works and finally into hill territory. Views of Vrackie ahead were great.

Approaching the Soldier’s Leap

Killiecrankie Pass

Carn Liath

Killiecrankie from the water works

Approaching Ben Vrackie

Ben Vrackie and Loch a’ Choire

I hadn't been sure what the snow would be like - possibly soft and knee-deep? It was certainly soft, but at this level there was much less of it than expected, so despite the wet paths and me wearing my old, leaky boots, I didn't actually get particularly wet feet.

Heading for Ben Vrackie

The wind was much more noticeable, but in the end we decided to go for the summit, although we opted for a quick out-and-back on the tourist path rather than crashing through the heather to reach Meall an Daimh as I had done previously.

SE down the Tay

Someone’s going to get a wet arse...

The wind was worse at the loch and on the lower part of the ascent than it was higher up...until we cleared the face and made the final short journey to the top, that is! While it was definitely not hanging around weather, it wasn't quite bad enough to push us around, so we managed to get some decent photos. The snow above 750m was actually quite reasonable, and consolidated in most places. Shame the temperatures were due to rise again in the following week. There were some great snow sculptures and cornices to look at.

NE summit

Half-decent snow at this level

Nearly there - nice cornices

Summit

Loch Tummel

Beinn a’ Ghlo

Looking West

It was great to be out in the sunshine on the summit of a hill after 5pm. However we had trains to catch, so we made a fairly rapid descent of the usual route back to the Moulin Inn, where we had enough time to stop off for a drink and a bowl of chips. Actually Jackie had ages as her train was about 40 minutes later than mine, but at least there was no need to drive anywhere.

Descending towards Loch a’ Choire

Loch a’ Choire

Looking back to Vrackie

Shower coming

A nice day out, and another test for Jackie's injury - hopefully it shouldn't be too long before she is back to normal (as normal as she gets anyway :roll: ).
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: Slacking on Vrackie

Postby prog99 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:06 am

Nice to see you worked in a trip to the Moulin. Train to Pitlochry always makes it a good option.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Graeme D » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:13 pm

An ascent of Vrackie without a visit to the Moulin does not count. It cannot be considered as a true ascent of the mountain! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:19 pm

malky_c wrote:that muscle injury still lingering

Don't suppose she's considered giving it a rest :lol: ?
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:23 am

Looks like Sunday was a pretty fair day, and with a decent amount of snow on the tops. Sadly, as you say, it doesn't look like it's going to last.

(I need to try this train malarky....)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:39 pm

Even I can comfortably beat Naismith on the track up Ben Vrackie - in Summer conditions - makes a change :lol: :lol:
The beer (and ambience) at the Moulin are nice, but the food has become rather poor (IMO). The Pub down in town - the Old Mill I think is - much better
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby litljortindan » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:39 pm

Looking very fine with the snow, sun and fair weather cloud. I noticed when I was there that the low level scenery around was quite eye catching so useful to see that there indeed low level paths to go with it.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland