walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

4 Swiss francs, hundreds of geese, rubbish.

4 Swiss francs, hundreds of geese, rubbish.

Postby Murdo Mc » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:09 am

Route description: Kelvin Walkway: Glasgow to Milngavie

Date walked: 19/03/2019

Time taken: 2 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first walk report šŸ˜Š

With a couple of hours on my hands I was in Bearsden and decided to do the part of this walk starting at the Science Park, through to Milngavie. Iā€™d read reports of copious amounts of mud, prickly bushes, and litter, so my expectations were not high. Just past the school there was indeed mud and litter; but, once on the river bank, just litter.

Pleasant open views; and buds just starting to appear on the shrubs and trees. It did seem a bit ā€œpost industrialā€ on the section through to Balmuidy Roman fort, though. But once across the busy A879 road,and across the river via the rather formidable metal gates, it all seemed much more rural. And enjoyable. Admiring some catkins, and a couple of goosanders frolicking about, I looked down and saw two 2 Swiss franc coins on the ground. Finders keepers!

Some pruning of the undergrowth had been recently carried out, and later on some new wooden steps constructed; but the old debris left in situ. Maybe work in progress, and it might get tidied up. Or just left there. Hundreds of geese, greylag I think; another pair of goosanders; and a pair of mallards. It did look very kingfisherish in places; but, sadly, no kingfisher sightings. Or otters.

At times it would have been possible to slip off the path into the river - not advisable - but it was not exactly high risk. Nice that the path was not overly ā€œimprovedā€ and ā€œmanicuredā€. I met no one at all, just saw a couple of dog walkers in the distance.

In summary I found it to be pleasant, though not spectacular. Might have been promoted to spectacular if I had seen a kingfisher. Or otter šŸ˜‰
Murdo Mc

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland