walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Any way the wind blows...

Any way the wind blows...

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:10 pm

Route description: Cook's Cairn and Corryhabbie Hill from Allanreid

Fionas included on this walk: Cook's Cairn

Date walked: 09/03/2019

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 21.25 km

Ascent: 486m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a very windy Saturday. Gusts 40-50mph on Munro level, temperature dropping near freezing. Not a day to venture onto the highest mountains, but in our opinion, an easy Graham was worth a risk :D
We had done Cook's Cairn before and found the route from Allanreid via Glen Livet very pleasant. It's a long-ish walk in but crosses a nice, quiet glen with easy walking on decent tracks. WH route also throws in Coryhabbie Hill but we don't really like that second mountain. I'm sorry, Coryhabbie, but you are so boring that we'll probably never bother repeating you!
Cook's Cairn itself is far from exhilarating either, but it has that feeling of remoteness we always found enchanting. The walk-in passes a ruined cottage at Suie and crosses River Livet on a footbridge. And this little bridge caused us a bit of consideration. When we arrived at the car park at Allanreid, we found a note pinned to the info board, quote "Bridge at Suie Lodge closed for the public. Apologies for any inconvenience".
:evil: :evil: :evil:
We decided to go regardless. As far as we remembered, the river near Suie wasn't too deep so we hoped we could ford it even if the bridge was really uncrossable.

Track_COOKS CAIRN 09-03-19.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Weather forecast suggested passing showers, but somehow, we managed to avoid the rain altogether, despite multiple showers passing by:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 009.JPG

To begin with, we crossed a few fields full of sheep and followed the waymarked Livet Path. Across the river, the near-perfect silhouette of The Bochel reminded us about a quick visit to this Marylin a few days earlier:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 014.JPG

The first bridge was OK to cross. We noticed that the water level in the river was quite high but it was too late to turn back now :lol:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 020.JPG

Welcome to the moor! Don't forget to keep your dog on the leash! Thankfully, they don't demand that for panthers :lol: :lol:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 022.JPG

The less popular side of Ladder Hills:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 026.JPG

Walking into the glen with sun shining above us. It was windy and quite cold, but at least it wasn't raining :wink: The white top of Cook's Cairn, our target hill, can be seen to the left of the picture:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 030.JPG

View back down Glen Livet, with The Bochel dominating the horizon:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 033.JPG

Zoom to Suie Lodge and the track leading up the hill behind:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 041.JPG

We reached the second bridge and found out it was still standing, and looking sound, I'm not sure why it was deemed unsafe? Maybe the river has damaged the spans, I don't know. What I know is, we committed a public offense by using the bridge despite the warnings!
What's wrong with it?? Kevin investigates:
20190309112637(1).jpg

Black Panther caught red-handed:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 044.JPG

The ruins at Suie, Coryhabbie Hill behind:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 048.JPG

The abandoned cottage at Knochkan, the top of Carn na Bruar in the background:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 049.JPG

During our previous visit, we had a look inside the abandoned lodge and it made us feel very depressed, so this time we just walked past. Such a shame about this building, but I think it's in such a remote location that living here would prove impractical. Or maybe whoever owns it doesn't care (isn't it still part of the Crown Estate, so technically it is state-owned?):
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 058.JPG

The building as seen from the east:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 059.JPG

Past the lodge and another ruined cottage, we picked an ATV track heading up the slopes to the col between Carn na Bruar and Cook's Cairn. Well, the word "picked" is possibly not the best way to describe it. We discovered, that the former grassy track was replaced with a freshly-bulldozed new one. I must say the new track is badly made, has no drainage whatsoever and I'm afraid, in a year or two it will be eroded beyond recognition. Hopefully I'm wrong...
Also, at the start of the new track, we were welcome by a note pinned to a wooden post "You are entering an area of construction work, please avoid the machinery, blah blah..."
Whaaat? A windfarm HERE?
Thankfully, the main traffic for the windfarm comes from the other side (Aldivalloch) and the construction must be finished by now as the turbines are already all up and running.
Looking back down the new track, to the ruins of Suie:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 065.JPG

Zoom to the ruins, with the white tops of Ben Avon on the horizon:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 066.JPG

So far so good, windy but sunny and no wind turbines in sight just yet...
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 068.JPG

Back to the white Cairngorms:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 073.JPG

The first wind turbine comes into sight! Cook's Cairn summit to the left:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 077.JPG

At least with the new track came a new marker, pointing away from the whooshing hell and onto the less eroded path up the final slopes of the Graham. By now, the wind was so strong we struggled to stay on out feet:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 081.JPG

The way up looks benign...
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 089.JPG

And in any other circumstances it would be a walk in the park, but with crazy wind gusts, we staggered from side to side, performing strange pirouettes on the snowy surface. At some point, we caught a quieter moment for a few photos and a short video:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 090.JPG

El Bandito is back, this time on Cook's Cairn. It was Lucy's 80th Graham, but she could not celebrate as she would no doubt fly away with the wind! I was close to the same fate :lol:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 105.JPG

Views from Cook's Cairn are not extensive but nice enough. This wee mountain does indeed have a taste of solitude, despite the new wind farm. Such a shame we couldn't stay here for a bit longer, have a cup of hot tea and enjoy the views to the nearby hills... Instead, it was just a matter of a few quick snaps, turning back and running down, out of the hellish wind :lol:
The Buck to the east, our previous Graham:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 099.JPG

Bad weather passing over Coryhabbie Hill:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 097.JPG

View west towards the Cairngorms:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 096.JPG

The new windfarm :?
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 094.JPG

On the way down to the col:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 111.JPG

Once on the lower slopes, the wind eased off a bit and the air felt warmer, too. We returned to Suie and found a sheltered spot behind one of the ruined buildings, where we stopped for a hot cuppa and something to eat.
Finally, we retraced our steps back along Glen Livet. This time we didn't cross the forbidden bridge, but found a suitable spot to ford the river.
River Livet and Ladder Hills:
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 118.JPG

Beware hills, I'll be back!
2019-03-09 cooks cairn 121.JPG

Overall, a good day despite being pushed from pillar to post. Not a very demanding route, but in my opinion, a very entertaining way of climbing Cook's Cairn (haven't done the route from the east so I can't compare, but I imagine that the walk in from Aldivalloch would be mostly on bulldozed tracks for the windfarm). The river could be a problem in full spate, hopefully the Suie bridge will be repaired/consolidated in the near future. I couldn't find any info about it online though.
So this was the last outing of our March hols, but it's been 2 weeks since and on weekend days, we visited two more listed hills: a quick but steep Graham in the far north and a gentle Corbett circuit in Corgarff area. TR's in progress.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland