walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Girron

The Girron

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:57 pm

Date walked: 15/03/2019

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 522m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The 515m Girron is a small hill that overlooks St. Fillans. Photos are from several occasions
01.JPG
The Girron from Station road
Up until about three years ago the only sensible ascent route was to follow the rather tedious zigzag tracks through the commercial forest to the viewpoint just below one of the many "intakes" in the area - Official WH route https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/perthshire/st-fillans.shtml

029.jpg
Viewpoint - on an earlier occasion
When I first came to St. Fillans about 6 years ago there was no obvious track from the viewpoint to the Girron, but one has slowly developed since: It traverses diagonally round to the South, and while it may be tempting to leave it and climb directly towards the top, the vegetation is very dense and it's better to continue round to the South side overlooking the village, when the cairn is easily reached by tracks through the short heather
6000.JPG

6001.JPG
Track formed in recent years
6002.jpg
Looking down Loch Earn from the top

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I found the map confusing until I realised that the cairn is not at the 528m spot height, but nearly half a km SE
However about three years ago, as part of a new cycle track, a bridge was built over the Station road burn (which it had not previously been practical to cross) and opened up a new much more direct route. It climbs around 400m in a 1.5km base and I find it excellent for keeping fit, though between July and (say) November bracken becomes a serious hindrance at one point.
6582.JPG
Signpost on the cycle track at top of Station road
6585.JPG
New bridge
6600.JPG
Top L Just beyond, a track heads steeply up the hillside: the photos seriously understate the gradient :wink:
Top R after this section the path heads R :
Bottom L..Then up again L of these two hawthorns:
Bottom R and over this old wall where the angle eases slightly

6612.JPG
Top L Right again to the tiny notch(arrowed):
Top R above which the gate at the top of the field beside the Allt a Phuirt burn comes into sight:
Bottom L Beyond the gate the dip in the horizon is the next objective, but this short section is the much the most difficult "brackenwise" :lol:
Bottom R another view just though the gate

6606.JPG
back down to the village and Loch Earn
6615.JPG
A horizontal path starts off, but after 50m or so you are "on your own" :lol:
6616.JPG
Across the burn is the "lonesome pine" that I have described before :)
6618.JPG
Above the dip, the upper slopes come into view and the terrain improves
6621.JPG
Inquisitive sheep :lol:
6622.JPG
A grassy gully leads on up and there are several options
6623.JPG
The shortest is to climb directly to the white rock slightly R of centre - it's pretty steep but one can head first R and then diagonally back L :)
6624.jpg
Zoomed - the cairn is almost directly above this rock
6625.JPG
The white rock
6626.JPG
but feeling in need of a "break" :lol: one can head L
6627.JPG
Where a series of animal tracks
6628.JPG
lead to a break in the rock and scree barrier up which there is quite a good path
6629.JPG
above the break head R up a sloping grassy shelf : Heading up diagonally L from the white rock brings you to the same point
6630.JPG
And then it's on and up R to the cairn: I have made it in the hour but it's usually a bit longer :)
6642.JPG
Top L East across Glen Boltachan:
Top R: One can head down from here to the viewpoint, but having gained all this height I like to retain it for a bit, so I head to a notch in the near horizon:
Bottom L zoomed view over to the Graham Creag Ruadh:
Bottom R Looking back to the cairn from the notch

6644.JPG
A zoomed and compressed view to Meall Ghaordaidh and the Tarmachan
6645.JPG
Top L Heading diagonally down towards the main track in Glen Tarken:
Bottom L Past a few grouse butts:
Top R At some point one intersects the (often muddy)track that leads to Loch Boltachan and follow it down L:
Bottom R On reaching the main track one can go L or R but I head straight on across the bog towards the Allt an Fhionn burn which is easily crossed

6646.JPG
Birch and Alder trees beside the burn :D
Bottom R Following the far side of the burn, climb over this rickety gate ...

6647.JPG
Cross a little side burn...
6648.JPG
... and follow the boundary between the woodland and moor
6649.JPG
Which curves round to the R (looking back)
6650.JPG
To this pylon where there is a stile over it
6651.JPG
Another look back
6652.jpg
Top L View down Loch Earn from below the pylon:
Bottom L From here it's easy going through the felled forest - there is some natural regrowth but the small amount of brash is not a problem - and one descends to:
Top R The path through Glen Tarken woods:
Bottom R These are glorious oak woods - but tragically there is absolutely no regeneration of the oak :( :(

6654.JPG
Another wider view in the woods
6655.JPG
The path leads down to the old railway - now a cycle track - and goes through this tunnel :) which one used to have to climb round as it was fenced up :(
I don't suppose I'll ever manage the hundred times someone has climbed Ben A'an in the Trossachs - which is of a similar height - but .. who knows ? It's a very enjoyable walk - every time
Attachments
6631.JPG
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland