walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Chritmas on Ben Macdui

Chritmas on Ben Macdui

by mountaineagle » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:48 am

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 24/12/2010

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Chritmas on Ben Macdui

Postby monty » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:21 am

I like to gain experience from just up to the point before it goes pair shaped but always go out prepared for the bratwurst. At least I go out thinking I am prepared because I haven't been in any serious predicament touch wood. :D

Its a shame that our sport can be so deadly but then you might get knocked down by a bus one day or murdered by swine flu (pesky little demons) so just enjoy and listen and learn from our experienced peers, even young peers like Malcy_c and Mountaineagle and older ones like Kinley and Caberfeidh and Mountainstar :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby Graeme D » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Epic stuff - this really is trip reporting and wild camping from the very edge of sanity! :lol: I don't know whether to laugh or cry - laugh 'cos it wasnae me out there in that tent or cry 'cos like Kevsbald, I'll never be allowed out to camp on top of Ben Macdui on Xmas Eve! :(
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Lifeonloop » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:53 pm

Epic Stuff, I doff my cap!

Just one question, how much sleep did you get that night? with the cold and excitement of Santa`s arrival you must have been awake for hours. Having wild camped in November its the long hours of dark that I hate, but you must have had almost 16 hours alone in that tent, too cold to read surely?
Lifeonloop
Munro compleatist

Munros:60   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:67
Wainwrights:113   

Postby mountainstar » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:16 pm

monty wrote:I like to gain experience from just up to the point before it goes pair shaped but always go out prepared for the bratwurst. At least I go out thinking I am prepared because I haven't been in any serious predicament touch wood. :D

Its a shame that our sport can be so deadly but then you might get knocked down by a bus one day or murdered by swine flu (pesky little demons) so just enjoy and listen and learn from our experienced peers, even young peers like Malcy_c and Mountaineagle and older ones like Kinley and Caberfeidh and Mountainstar :lol: :lol:

Don't care about the "Old" label....as to just get mentioned is an honour Sir! :D 8)
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby mountaineagle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:46 pm

monty wrote: even young peers like Malcy_c and Mountaineagle and older ones like Kinley and Caberfeidh and Mountainstar :lol: :lol:

Monty, I had a eye test yesterday but I'm thnking you might need one too..... :shock: Kinley is younger than me..... :wink: :lol: :lol:
mountaineagle

Postby monty » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:52 pm

Oops, I am sure Kinley will forgive me :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
monty

Postby mountaineagle » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:56 pm

Lifeonloop wrote:Just one question, how much sleep did you get that night? with the cold and excitement of Santa`s arrival you must have been awake for hours. Having wild camped in November its the long hours of dark that I hate, but you must have had almost 16 hours alone in that tent, too cold to read surely?

Did get much sleep that night, but I'm use to dealling with that. Sometimes I walk through the night when I'm out on the hills. As long as you are rapped up warm enough, reading is not a problem.
mountaineagle

Postby happyhiker » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:14 pm

excellent report. I just love the Christmas tent - certainly a unique start to Christmas day for you and the views looked spectacular!
happyhiker
Mountaineer

Munros:22   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:11 pm

mountaineagle wrote:
monty wrote: even young peers like Malcy_c and Mountaineagle and older ones like Kinley and Caberfeidh and Mountainstar :lol: :lol:

Monty, I had a eye test yesterday but I'm thnking you might need one too..... :shock: Kinley is younger than me..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Are you sure? Perhaps Kinley just had an easy paper round :wink:

Great report MountainEagle.
A bit different from your night-time epics but equally impressive.
The fairy lights and stocking photo is just class! :D
foggieclimber

Postby kinley » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:21 pm

:shock:

We don't actually know how old Caberfeidh is - he might be in his teens :lol:

As for me - I'm looking good for 65 don't you think?

:lol:
kinley

Postby GarryH » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:45 pm

kinley wrote:

We don't actually know how old Caberfeidh is - he might be in his teens :lol:

:lol:

No me hearty here im be in is day job...........
GarryH

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland