walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Ronnies and the Foss Mine

Two Ronnies and the Foss Mine

Postby Beaner001 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:42 pm

Route description: Meall Tairneachan and Farragon Hill

Corbetts included on this walk: Farragon Hill, Meall Tairneachan

Date walked: 29/03/2019

Time taken: 6.05 hours

Distance: 17.15 km

Ascent: 878m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Out with Dad again, we chose these two as this seemed the area best for weather, the Munros were out due to the wind and rain on Friday. Really enjoyed these hills, it seemed like muich more ascent that the 878 m stated in the walk report that's for sure. I felt really fit but dad was not right today, he battled on and did really well to summit both these hills considering Farragon hill is such a distance from the initial easy Meall Tairneachan. Rough ground had to be covered as we tried to keep height over to the South of Farragon Hill, we returned by the north of the corrie and added more ascent back up to the bealach. Chose wisely today. Dogs loved it and were good considering there was a heavy truck shuttling the the Barite to the car parking area to be used in the oil and gas industry (MI Swaco). The driver stopped and spoke to dad as he must have been awful lonley, he had worked there for 35 years shuttling the rock from the mine to the main road car park. He says they have a permission for a new mine over Dunkeld way but he's not going over there and will likely retire once this mine is close to closing.

IMG_9550.JPG

IMG_9552.JPG

IMG_9553.JPG

IMG_9554.JPG

IMG_9556.JPG

IMG_9557.JPG

IMG_9558.JPG

IMG_9560.JPG

IMG_9562.JPG

IMG_9565.JPG

IMG_9569.JPG
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland